turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 SM Pellet Count ????Please

Started by Rem Man, May 07, 2013, 03:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hi guys I have a question, I was at the range today shooting my new Remington 870 SM in Bottomland Camo. It was cloudy and about 57 Degrees with a slight wind. It is in our prime season right now and I really want to use this gun. I mounted a Ultra Dot Red Dot on the receiver (Drilled and Tapped) I shot some Turkey Thug 3inch #6 with a Rem SF and a Tightwad choke. The tightwad seemed a little better, I got 82 in a 10 inch and 143 in a 20 inch at a lasered 42yds, and 160 in a 10 inch and 117 in a 20 inch at 30yds. The patterns were pretty nice and even. I guess my final question is do you guys think this would make a good Turkey Gun??? I really don't have the cash right now to spend on Hevi or Heavyshot. THANKS!!!

the Ward

Heck yea it will work!Don't let the under 300 in a 10 keep you from enjoying your gun,lol!The important thing to remember is to keep your shots within the limits of your choke and load.I would be perfectly happy hunting with your setup,i would just limit my shots to 35yds to be sure of my pattern density.82 in the 10 @40 would still probably be ok,but the pattern density would be getting kinda thin for sure kills at that distance.How do you like the ultra dot?Had one on a 870 slug gun(a friend has it now) for almost 20years and it still works perfect!

R AJ

Quote from: Rem Man on May 07, 2013, 03:42:44 PM
    Hi guys I have a question, I was at the range today shooting my new Remington 870 SM in Bottomland Camo. It was cloudy and about 57 Degrees with a slight wind. It is in our prime season right now and I really want to use this gun. I mounted a Ultra Dot Red Dot on the receiver (Drilled and Tapped) I shot some Turkey Thug 3inch #6 with a Rem SF and a Tightwad choke. The tightwad seemed a little better, I got 82 in a 10 inch and 143 in a 20 inch at a lasered 42yds, and 160 in a 10 inch and 117 in a 20 inch at 30yds. The patterns were pretty nice and even. I guess my final question is do you guys think this would make a good Turkey Gun??? I really don't have the cash right now to spend on Hevi or Heavyshot. THANKS!!!

Hunt- Hunt -Hunt- You have our blessings. Call that rascal to about 30 steps and he will roll backwards . Good Luck !!

Rem Man

Thanks guys! I have the next few days off and hopefully will have some luck. I love the Ultra Dot IMO its the best Red Dot on the market VERY DURABLE. I along with friends have them on 44 mag 500 Smith and slug guns they will most definitly take the most heavy recoil and work like new!!

Longshanks

Deep cleaning the barrel may help with that new gun..if you havent done so already. Takes about 20-30 minutes. Inexpensive..hoppes, brush, rod, and a hand full of patches. Ive seen 20-40 pellet icreases in my guns doing this..Something ive noticed with new gun/choke combos is i can deep clean, then run a cheap box of shells through the gun, patch out,  and then start with patterning the turkey loads and the patterns are much better. When I hunt with lead I shoot 35 or less. You should be in good shape at that yardage. You patterned at 42. You would be surprised if you pattern at 40. (Should be right at 100 @ 40) The pattern is detiorating quickly after 35.  I killed three gobblers this year with HTL..15yds, 20yds, 36yds. Could have easily killed them with lead. Good luck to you and I hope you kill a biggun!

surehuntsalot

there is nothing wrong with that set up and your #'s
hunt and have a great time
it's not the harvest,it's the chase