OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did a little shooting.......870 sum toy 562

Started by savduck, February 26, 2012, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Got the 20 ga 870 dialed in. Was shooting federal 3inch 7 heayweight with a sumtoy 562-5. I did not clean the gun between shots. Yardages were marked off with a surveyors steel tape. Shots at 20, 30 and 40.

I got the fast fire dialed into zero and shot a few at 30 and one at 40. The pattern was off a little from what I expected, I thought the numbers would be a little higher. I had two additional blank sheets on 11X17, one on either side, of the main target to make sure I was center. I feel confident I was. The 40 yard pattern opened up, as I thought it would be a little tighter. Guess my gun wants something a little tighter. All the patterns were very evenly spaced. I did not shoot anymore at 40, because I didnt want to waste another 4 dollar shell when I know the pattern is off. Im gonna clean it and then try again and see if that makes the difference.

At 30

Shot 1...............149 in the 8 inch circle, 45 additional if I took it to a 10 inch circle.....total in 10......194
Shot 2................153 in the 8 inch circle, 47 additional if I took it to a 10 inch circle....total in 10...200

At 40
Shot 1...........69 in 8 inch circle, 34 additional in the 10 inch circle........total at 40 in 10........103

Georgia Boy

savduck

PS......I was using a 4X4 sheet of 15/32 plywood as my target stand

None of the federal #7s penetrated completely through at 20 yards.
Georgia Boy

Fullfan

Humm intresting. I know I was shooting the 3" 12ga last year and @ 43 yds the #7's blew threw 3/8 chip board.

Wonder why your #'s where low??
Don't gobble at me...

Devastator

im sure sumtoy will get you hooked up with the right choke for your gun.

savduck

Im going to get with William about it. I spoke with another buddy. He also got some HW 7s from the same place as I and had the same issue. Great pattern at 30 and then blown out at 40. We got ours from the same place. He also shot his today.

My lot numbers on the two boxes I shot today are both 37UT456. Came from Dunns.
Georgia Boy

SumToy

This was odd.  I dont know how the barrel not clean will come into play with the Fed's.  When you brush it run a clean patch with alcohol on it down barrel to see if it comes out black.   I think it more about the choke dirty if anything.    This is one of the lowest guns I have seen.  So I think we need to look at it to see.  I have some shells we will try in it. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

savduck

William, Craig may come see you next weekend. I had planned to tag along so we could shoot it. Ill bring the patterns I shot today.

I want to keep a sum toy in this gun. Im really happy with the spread of the patterns. It stayed consistent from shot to shot. Just want more pellets at 40.
Georgia Boy

SumToy

Just odd it drop off that much.  With that shell I have not seen that much drop.  Was the wind up because I think that will come into play with the FCW more then others.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

savduck

Naw, no wind. I just saw a post though in our Gun forum on here that another guy thought he had #6s federals packaged as #7s. He did some counting and his numbers werent matching up. This has been an issue before from what I hear. I posted the lot #. Be curious to know if our ammo got jacked up.

Mine, Covehunter, and the other fella all got our stuff from Dunns. All three #s are off.
Georgia Boy

LAWRENCE BOY

cool
i did some shooting with my 20 ga hevi choke  and mag blends
at 40 i had 79 in a 7" at 40
Gobble
Gobble

BOOM

Devastator

savduck,they are the same lot # as i have from last years 2 box's.the ones i have from cheaper than dirt are 37vt455 i just receieved a month ago

Devastator

what guns and chokes did the other fellas shoot?

savduck

Not sure what type of gun one of the guys shot. He said his was the 12 ga federal 7s though.....not 20s.

The other fella was shooting a 1300 winchester.
Georgia Boy

Cove

jtharpe

My encore is having the same problems with the federals.
Best was 113 at 40. Im going to clean it and shot again and see what happens.
Mt shells came from midway and the lot number is 37VT455