OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tulipwood Striker Issue

Started by jaustinmoore, March 16, 2018, 09:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaustinmoore

Just got a one piece tulipwood striker and I'm having problems problems running it. The sounds are very high pitched and it just seems like it doesn't want to bite down on the call... almost feels slick. Has anyone ever experienced this?

It's not the calls because I tried the striker on 3 different pots, and ran rosewood, snake wood, persimmon all with no issues.

southern_leo

Take some fine sandpaper like 220 and put it in the palm of your hand. Push striker tip into it and give it some spins in the same direction. The circle shape this makes on the end of the grain should grip just fine against your call. This sounds like a conditioning issue to me. Hope that helps. If this doesn't help check conditioning on the pot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

coyote1

Try Southern Leo's suggestion and if it still runs high pitch it is probably the way the striker is made.

The tulip wood striker i have runs like you are describing. So i don't use it much. I know mine is not a conditioning issue.

SteelerFan

Quote from: southern_leo on March 16, 2018, 10:17:46 AM
Take some fine sandpaper like 220 and put it in the palm of your hand. Push striker tip into it and give it some spins in the same direction. The circle shape this makes on the end of the grain should grip just fine against your call. This sounds like a conditioning issue to me. Hope that helps. If this doesn't help check conditioning on the pot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

^^^This

Also, you may want to use some alcohol prep swabs to wipe / clean the tip of the striker to remove any oils or finish that may be there.

ridgerunner

Tulip wood is one of the best running strikers I've used. Never had an issue with it.

ajagkrieg

I just got one from Mr. Fowler and its runs on everything.  I am very impressed with mine.  Hope conditioning it fixes yours.

Daryl

If it runs really high on everything that you have tried it on and the sanding doesn't help with bite and sound, the balance of the striker is probably off.