turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what are your call priorities?

Started by MarkJM, June 23, 2011, 01:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

what is the most important aspect of a call you try to achieve when making them?

for me it goes

qaulity
sound
looks

of course we all shoot for all 3 but which one do you learn toward the most?
MuellerCustomCalls

socalturkeyman

I dont care to much for the looks part but it cant be this ugly thing you would even use for fire wood. BUt I have to say sound and quality are the biggest factors I go after,and strength of call since I mostly make  scratch box calls. I even try to build my long box calls strong to, I tend and I know lots of do too, drop them or plop our big butts down on them.  :toothy12:
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

West Augusta

SOUND
Good tone with a lot of break to the yelp.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Houndstooth Game Calls

SOUND, if it sounds good doesent matter to me what it looks like but I am rough on a call anyway.--Lyle

pappy

my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

gobbler336

i have never had a turkey come in because i was using a pretty call, never.  he came in because of the sound it produced.  that should be the top priority to any call maker, period.  shouldn't even be a question.

KryptoniteKills

Quote from: Gitzit69 on June 23, 2011, 03:49:28 PM
Quote from: gobbler336 on June 23, 2011, 03:34:07 PM
i have never had a turkey come in because i was using a pretty call, never.  he came in because of the sound it produced.  that should be the top priority to any call maker, period.  shouldn't even be a question.
:you_rock: :you_rock:

TarheelTurk

Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

MarkJM

I agree totally on the sound, sound and quality are right in line with each other. because if you have a call that sounds good, but the quality of the call isnt that great, that just wont do. I have had calls that sound good for a month, then die out. So quality and sound are right on top of each other.
MuellerCustomCalls

CASH

That old longbeard doesn't give a hoot what your call looks like or what it's made out of.  He just likes (or not) what it sounds like.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

youngtrkyhntr97

Quote from: CASH on June 25, 2011, 07:21:15 AM
That old longbeard doesn't give a hoot what your call looks like or what it's made out of.  He just likes (or not) what it sounds like.

:z-winnersmiley: A buddy of ours has an old lynch box he calls "white trash"  that his grandaddy gave him that looks like garbage and has been repaired many times it has produced many gobblers and its still his go to call.

chatterbox

When I play it, ol' tom can't resist coming in!
That's what I want.