turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jack Dudley book

Started by Jstocks, July 30, 2020, 07:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstocks

To the person who outbid me with 2 seconds to go today, congrats on a rare find. I was watching the seconds count down with my finger on the button to increase if need and could not respond fast enough.

BBR12

What did it go for $?
I paid a premium for mine. I was just starting to collect and got carried away.

GobbleGitr

Great book by someone I'd love to have met

Jstocks

guesswho

Just curious.   I'm assuming this was EBay.  If so, if you were willing to pay more with 2 seconds to go, why not set your max bid higher to start with?   That may have helped you to secure the purchase. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jstocks

It was eBay.

I was the high bidder and still had plenty of room in my max bid at the 3 minute mark and was watching closely all the way to the end. I'm not real savvy at the bidding wars on there. Looking back I should have just decided how much I was willing to pay, put it in as a max bid and walk away. Check it later and be satisfied with win or lose..... lesson learned I reckon.

I figured it may have been someone on the site. I know there are several folks who would love to pick that book up. I hope it went to someone who will enjoy it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: guesswho on July 30, 2020, 10:42:51 PM
Just curious.   I'm assuming this was EBay.  If so, if you were willing to pay more with 2 seconds to go, why not set your max bid higher to start with?   That may have helped you to secure the purchase.
I have been on ebay almost since it started and it became apparent since the beginning most people that get stuff that is bid on and not "Buy it now" items are going to be your snipers. I will not bid on an item myself unless I know I am not going to be there to snipe it because you do one of two things by adding a maximum bid, you will drive the price up in most cases and still not win anyway with your maximum bid or you pay more than you would have if you sniped it because in order for there to be an additional bid there has to be time for the next persons bid to be entered so if you snipe with say 3 seconds left the other bid will never have the chance to be entered.

It is a game that I have won far more than I have lost it but it sure does suck when you do lose it, you have to time your bid just right or the others persons max bid can out trump you and your max sniping bid will not have the time to counter their counter. At one point in time there were computer programs that would snipe it for you but they did away with those on ebay. (No I never used that, took away from the fun of winning the snipe.)
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BMAC_Turkeys

Was it Greatest moments of my life?

Jstocks

LaLongbeard

I've owned the book then sold it. If your interested in reading the book the University of Mississippi has two copies and your local library can borrow it for you. If your interested in just collecting that's another issue. I searched for awhile to find the one I bought was really disappointed in the book as for as turkey hunting content. It's like a lot of self published books needed a good editor before being printed. It's value is in its scarcity not content. There is definitely a reason it was only printed once and in limited number. The book did not sell well and there's hundreds of better titles on Turkey hunting.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 30, 2020, 11:55:19 PM
Quote from: guesswho on July 30, 2020, 10:42:51 PM
I have been on ebay almost since it started and it became apparent since the beginning most people that get stuff that is bid on and not "Buy it now" items are going to be your snipers. I will not bid on an item myself unless I know I am not going to be there to snipe it because you do one of two things by adding a maximum bid, you will drive the price up in most cases and still not win anyway with your maximum bid or you pay more than you would have if you sniped it because in order for there to be an additional bid there has to be time for the next persons bid to be entered so if you snipe with say 3 seconds left the other bid will never have the chance to be entered.

It is a game that I have won far more than I have lost it but it sure does suck when you do lose it, you have to time your bid just right or the others persons max bid can out trump you and your max sniping bid will not have the time to counter their counter. At one point in time there were computer programs that would snipe it for you but they did away with those on ebay. (No I never used that, took away from the fun of winning the snipe.)
Correct!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quavers59

I bought my copy of Jack Dudley's Book from Jim Casada some time back for, I believe 800Bucks.   I read it twice and sold it for about half that.

Ctrize

That is ironic, I sold my copy to Casada for 455 and he put it up for 800. I t was one of the first books I picked up so I got it at a good price.