turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Those that have planted Chufa

Started by PSEoutlaw07, January 31, 2019, 05:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

It's clear y'all have finally found a way to be successful at killing turkeys. It's unlikely anything I could say would change your mind. It is a 100% fact  there's nothing you could say that would convince me that sitting over a Chufa patch is hunting, so we're finished here.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

chufagold

To be clear I think I care for the wild turkey more than some. Anybody can just say hey its turkey season and just go sit in the woods and call which I think Is pure disrespect knowing u could have contributed during the year.

pdaugherty

We plant Chufas every year and have for the past 5-6 years. Our turkeys love them and in my opinion it helps the hens by increasing their weight and overall health. Do we hunt over our Chufa fields, no we don't. That may be where we differ from others on this forum. But I do have to agree with some people on here that it would be no different than hunting over a cut corn field, clover field, or milo. In the long run were all here to enjoy turkeys and hunting them. If Chufas help them survive through the winter into spring and increase my population then I'm all for it. To each his own.

chufagold

same here dont hunt over it at all. By the time season comes in its starts greening up and they leave it. maybe a few hens here and there but if u think it gonna sit on it and kill a lot of mature birds it's not gonna happen

Turkeyslayer7

To the OP since this kind of got sidetracked, yes, Chufa works great if done correctly and the amount needed. To me it is great for the whole flock and if you have issues with birds moving to the neighbors then if there is anything left then the birds will be there. I do not hunt over it but without it the birds are on my neighbors place. LaLongbeard, assuming you are from Louisiana like myself, so you say you don't plant plots for deer or turkey, sounds counter productive. Suggesting clover is a great idea but it's no different then chufa  and it doesn't last year round either. If the op or anyone wants to hunt over it then that's their right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Turkeyslayer7 on February 01, 2019, 04:06:21 PM
. LaLongbeard, assuming you are from Louisiana like myself, so you say you don't plant plots for deer or turkey, sounds counter productive.

Not if you know how to hunt deer and turkeys. Yes I'm from La and sitting in a box blind staring at a patch of oats, clover corn etc. was unheard of when I started hunting. I learned to find the deer or whatever I was hunting without bait. The fad of plot watching is the number one reason most La hunters are completely hopeless when hunting public land were no bait of any kind is allowed. You can rationalize Chufas or corn or whatever your consence will allow but baiting ain't hunting.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

RUN-N-GUN

To the OP since this kind of got sidetracked, yes, Chufa works great if done correctly and the amount needed. To me it is great for the whole flock and if you have issues with birds moving to the neighbors then if there is anything left then the birds will be there. I do not hunt over it but without it the birds are on my neighbors place. LaLongbeard, assuming you are from Louisiana like myself, so you say you don't plant plots for deer or turkey, sounds counter productive. Suggesting clover is a great idea but it's no different then chufa  and it doesn't last year round either. If the op or anyone wants to hunt over it then that's their right

Yes and yes! I'm from Louisiana also. If you hunt small property it's imperative that you plant something to hold birds since everyone around you have "deer feeders " running year round! To the op because we have a wild hog problem chufa get rooted before the turkey have a chance to get to it. The better option for us is clover. Clover is very high in protein and when it gets tall the clover will provide poults "after the hatch" with a place to hide and catch insects.

Turkeyslayer7

I actually don't hunt over plots deer hunting nor do I bait. I took a rifle twice this year, I bow hunt. I do plant plots but it's for improving the herd or flock. I also plant trees and hinge cut main thing is planting plots can help keep deer and turkey around your land more

Turkeyslayer7

Hijacking this now but where are you Louisiana guys from.

RUN-N-GUN

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 01, 2019, 05:16:09 PM
. LaLongbeard, assuming you are from Louisiana like myself, so you say you don't plant plots for deer or turkey, sounds counter productive.

Not if you know how to hunt deer and turkeys. Yes I'm from La and sitting in a box blind staring at a patch of oats, clover corn etc. was unheard of when I started hunting. I learned to find the deer or whatever I was hunting without bait. The fad of plot watching is the number one reason most La hunters are completely hopeless when hunting public land were no bait of any kind is allowed. You can rationalize Chufas or corn or whatever your consence will allow but baiting ain't hunting.
I agree 100% that baiting is not hunting. I wish corn was illegal here but it isn't. I pride myself in being able to call a bird off the neighbors corn pile "joking ". If you have a small property I think it's wise to plant something just to keep turkeys around your area. I've shot several birds over the last few years that came from neighboring properties and they were slap full of corn.

RUN-N-GUN

Quote from: Turkeyslayer7 on February 01, 2019, 05:54:23 PM
Hijacking this now but where are you Louisiana guys from.

I'm from Livingston parish. I know, you can start with the jokes, I'm used to it!

Turkeyslayer7

Lol na I wouldn't do that. I'm from Kentwood

silvestris

Well, look who has changed their username.  Same song; second verse.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Turkeyslayer7

Who changed their username?

dublelung

I've planted chufas for several years and they're truly a turkey magnet. I plant them to pull and hold turkeys on our property but not to hunt over. I'm in the far south so I usually plant mid June so the chufas don't have to compete with the grass and weeds as bad. Late winter and early spring the turkeys are in the plots daily and you could easily kill every gobbler on the property by sitting over them. Turkeys continue to visit the plots through out season but become more sparse toward the end.