OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

K&H slatek calls....

Started by KentuckyHeadhunter, April 19, 2015, 07:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

Why do these calls fetch so much interest?  A yella hammer just sold on eBay for $51 and had 26 bids. I got one of those years ago and tucked it away because it sounded like plastic junk to me at the time.  Why are the slatek calls sought after? Just curious.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

WV Ridge Reaper

Haha because one person on this forum said it was the best turkey call they every ran...Just like that HS black Widow call,the list goes on.

I bet there has been 10 of those calls sold on eBay in the past week for $50-$100...all because someone on here said it was a turkey talkin machine,I find it hilarious myself.

Maybe I can sell a old pump action yelper for $200 if I make a thread saying how many feather it spits with each stroke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on April 19, 2015, 07:19:17 PM
Haha because one person on this forum said it was the best turkey call they every ran...Just like that HS black Widow call,the list goes on.

I bet there has been 10 of those calls sold on eBay in the past week for $50-$100...all because someone on here said it was a turkey talkin machine,I find it hilarious myself.

Maybe I can sell a old pump action yelper for $200 if I make a thread saying how many feather it spits with each stroke

t from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ah man if that ain't the truth. People swear by garbage n it becomes a craze

gatrkyhntr70

I have one that has been a killer over the years.I have one of the old k&h rubber tipped strikers with it.No joke it never leaves my vest.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

West Augusta

The ceramic surface was very easy to run.  I just found a HS Strut Ring Zone call that Dad bought for me about 10 years ago.  I've never used it.  I ran it tonight with a couple of my strikers.  It may just get some vest time this year.  It sounds pretty good and I like ceramic calls.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

scoot12

The original ol yeller pot calls are in the green pot and are a lot better then the new ones,  I believe the originals where made in the early 90s,   I ran one last month and it sounds better then most of the custom ceramic pots I own and I own a bunch.  Steve,  I still have the slate ring zone from hs the first year it came out and called a bird in with it first morning I used it.  With right striker it has great sound, again it sounds better then some custom slate calls I own.  Just my opinion.  Scoot

KentuckyHeadhunter

I will admit I started playing with it again with different strikers and it doesn't sound bad at all.  The one it came with has a waterproof rubbery tip but I put an acrylic striker on it and actually could call a turkey. Go figure.  Guess it will stay out of the trash.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

not a slatek call , but I have a preston pittman copper in a plastic pot. I came across it digging through a bunch of production calls I had stored away. put some custom strikers to it and ended up pairing it with a 1 piece persimmon striker. first day I used it this year , I killed a good bird with it. as mentioned above about ceramics , this thing sounds better than the pile of custom copper calls I have. I still have a ole yeller from the 90s and it has a better sound than many of my custom ceramics. goes to show you that some 10 dollar calls sound better than some high dollar custom ones.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Dr Juice

I think it's a decent call and I keep the pup in my vest all of the time.

orange crush

ive got a kh sla-tek too and even tho it doesnt  take the pace of some of my higher end calls it still will talk turkey and i did call  in a birdi  the first time out of the gate 20 some years ago when it was new

mikejd

there is one on ebay now already up to 130$.

Jbird22

Wow, might have to put mine on there soon..lol..It's unreal what hype will do and how quick it will do it.

mikejd

Quote from: JBIRD22 on April 25, 2015, 08:54:52 PM
Wow, might have to put mine on there soon..lol..It's unreal what hype will do and how quick it will do it.

Could it really be hype on a 15yr old call. Has to be more to it. Actually it is one of my favorite calls. Last year i was with my dad and he asked what call were you just running that sounded great I may have to get one.
I told him they werent around anymore. At that time I didnt know they were selling on ebay. The same thing happened with the loman thunderdome. And I thought that one sounded lousy.

Jbird22

Quote from: mikejd on April 25, 2015, 09:04:43 PM
Quote from: JBIRD22 on April 25, 2015, 08:54:52 PM

Could it really be hype on a 15yr old call. Has to be more to it. Actually it is one of my favorite calls. Last year i was with my dad and he asked what call were you just running that sounded great I may have to get one.
I told him they werent around anymore. At that time I didnt know they were selling on ebay. The same thing happened with the loman thunderdome. And I thought that one sounded lousy.
Based on the one I have, yes. I'd say that internet hype is the culprit. It's not a bad sounding call it's FAR from being worth what it's fetching on ebay.

West Augusta

I still have one green pot still in the package.  Almost want to open it up for tomorrow.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.