OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tasco Red Dot

Started by Cajun1, January 17, 2014, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cajun1

I picked up a used 835 with 24" barrel yesterday.  The factory bead has come out and been lost and I'm trying to decide what to put back on the gun.  I originally thought I'd put some fiber optic rib mounted turkey sights on there but, digging around in my "gun parts" box, I found a picatinny rail that mounted right up to the receiver.  To make a long story short, I've got a Tasco Red Dot mounted on my AR that I like a lot but I realize the AR doesn't have near the recoil that the 835 will have.  Anyone, have any experience with the Tasco on a turkey gun?  This will be my first year to try turkey hunting so I'm trying to get started on a small budget.  If not the Tasco, is there any other inexpensive red dot sight that you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Cajun1

chatterbox

Quote from: Cajun1 on January 17, 2014, 06:29:13 PM
I picked up a used 835 with 24" barrel yesterday.  The factory bead has come out and been lost and I'm trying to decide what to put back on the gun.  I originally thought I'd put some fiber optic rib mounted turkey sights on there but, digging around in my "gun parts" box, I found a picatinny rail that mounted right up to the receiver.  To make a long story short, I've got a Tasco Red Dot mounted on my AR that I like a lot but I realize the AR doesn't have near the recoil that the 835 will have.  Anyone, have any experience with the Tasco on a turkey gun?  This will be my first year to try turkey hunting so I'm trying to get started on a small budget.  If not the Tasco, is there any other inexpensive red dot sight that you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Cajun1
I'll tell you right now, that 835 will shred that Tasco. The unfortunate thing is, not many cheap red dots or scopes will hold up to the violent recoil of a magnum turkey shells.
Every cheap red dot I had broke from hard recoiling turkey guns till I went with The Burris Fast Fire series.
The only inexpensive red dot I would even consider would be a Bushnell Trophy Red dot. The trade off is a 28mm tube, which leads to a very narrow field of view, but it will hold up.

Devastator

Had one on my sp10 years ago and it tore it up!!!

Cajun1

Ok, thanks for the replys.  I was just wondering about this one since I already have one on my AR and on the Academy website it says it will handle 3" shotgun loads. I probably won't shoot 3.5's in my 835 even though it will take them. I'm fine with just getting a fiber optic 3 point sight that is rib mounted.  I know Tru-glo makes several of them.  Anyone have one of these they recommend?  And of course, if anyone else has an inexpensive but durable red dot they recommend I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Cajun1

chatterbox

Here is a good red dot for the money. Optics Planet is great!
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-trophy-1x28-red-green-riflescope.html

Or, here are the truglo magnum gobble dot sights.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/TRUGLOreg-Pro-Series-Magnum-Gobble-Dot/742447.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtruglo%2Bmagnum%2Bgobble%2Bdot%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D10%26y%3D14&Ntt=truglo+magnum+gobble+dot

It all comes down to personal preference. The magnum gobbledots are full-proof for the most part, and have a strong following.
The bushnell is a good sight, but has a very restricted field of view.
However, there is only one dot to put on the neck, vs. lining up 3, and keeping your head down on the stock.
Lot's of options, and it boils down to shooter preference. Good luck!

beagler

Just remember you get what you pay for when it comes to optics.
Never Misses

ericjames

You could check out the Mueller quickshot. There is a review on here about it. i checked on Ebay, the matte black is  $95 free ship. The camo is $100 fee ship. I have the weaver micro dot I am trying out, it's a good sight and it has held the recoil of about 15- 3.5" loads and about the same 3". I think weaver has a good sight and I will probably use it this year on one of my guns. I am also hoping to buy me a fastfire 3 before march 15

Cajun1

Thanks again! I think I'm just going to go with some kind of fiber optic set up. I just don't have the cash right now for a really good red dot. Really appreciate the info though.

Sent from my Mossberg 835.