OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stevens 301 20 gauge single shot

Started by northms, April 26, 2021, 10:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

There's been much written on the smaller brother of this model 301, the .410, but wanted to share my thoughts on my 301 20 gauge. I have carried a mossberg 835 12 gauge around for the last 6-7 years and still love it. But saw the Stevens 301 and some reviews online for the price I had to have it.

It's super light weight and that contributes to it likely kicking more with felt recoil than other 20s but still much much less than any 12 and especially the 835 that's known for knocking teeth loose. I paired it with a leupold 2x7 power scope that has been sitting in the closet for probably 5 years since a buddy gave it to me when he was switching sights. I've been a red dot guy for years but have really enjoyed the scope and putting it on 2 power and leaving it. The gun came with a rail already installed.

I sighted it in out of the box with dove load and shot one TSS nitro 1 5/8 oz #9 to confirm and was ready to hunt. The reviews I've seen shot the Indian creek .555 throws an unreal pattern but the factory choke that came with it has a very nice pattern than was even. Threw on a sling and was ready to hunt.

Had a long beard come in and work to 30 yards through some trash. Got nervous and I let her rip. The TSS at 30 even thru the trash knocked the bird so hard he didn't even flop. I cocked the hammer back when I heard him fly down so there was no movement and it worked great. I'll prob get a stock sleeve to hold a backup shell or two but I'm very pleased so far. Wouldn't hesitate to leave as is and hunt permanently but will likely look at the IC .555.

It feels like a feather compared to my 835 and much easier to tote. Don't sneeze at the single shot 301–the price tag is nice and for what you get it's a great value. Gun, rail installed, and factory choke with performance you can hunt with or upgrade if budget allows.

TalknTurkey

I've been contemplating switching guns before next season. I've been leaning towards splurging for an m2 20ga. Then I hunted with my dad yesterday and watched him hammer one at 40 yds with a 301 20ga using TSS #7. The bird dropped so fast and hardly moved. Making me reconsider if it's really worth spending an additional $1k+ when I could spend $200 and the results are likely to be the same either way.

Greg Massey

Glad you like your. If i had it to do over i wouldn't have bought either one of the 301 T in 410 or 20 ga.  The first problem i had was with the 20 ga. and the rail coming loose after trying to sight the gun. I was almost finished and that happen, after getting back home and taking the rail off to start over with loctite and seeing what was holding the rail not impressed at all. With the factory choke the 20 ga. at best with Tss was a 32 yard gun.  The 410 was little better with the factory choke and was good up to 30 yards, still overall IMO i wish i had never bought either of them and just bought a better gun.. I do understand it's China made gun IMO you get what you pay for, sure with the adding of another 100 dollars and aftermarket choke, and plenty of loctite, i think you can improve the gun. IMO...

Greg Massey

Quote from: TalknTurkey on April 27, 2021, 08:35:17 AM
I've been contemplating switching guns before next season. I've been leaning towards splurging for an m2 20ga. Then I hunted with my dad yesterday and watched him hammer one at 40 yds with a 301 20ga using TSS #7. The bird dropped so fast and hardly moved. Making me reconsider if it's really worth spending an additional $1k+ when I could spend $200 and the results are likely to be the same either way.
My suggestion buy the gun you always wanted. M2 20 ga.  Not a fan myself of the 301 T... sure any gun will kill ... but regardless you get what you pay for in the 301 T....IMO....

TalknTurkey

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 27, 2021, 08:48:16 AM
Quote from: TalknTurkey on April 27, 2021, 08:35:17 AM
My suggestion buy the gun you always wanted. M2 20 ga.  Not a fan myself of the 301 T... sure any gun will kill ... but regardless you get what you pay for in the 301 T....IMO....
When it's all said and done, I most likely will. But then to truly make it what I want, I'll want to get it dipped/cerakoted and drilled/tapped. But I'm usually the buy once, cry once type, so it'll likely happen

But in regards to the OP's original post, the 301 is a more than capable turkey killer. Even with the factory choke, it patterns pretty well. It's just more of a no-frills option of going about it. In the end, it just comes down to what your budget is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northms

Glad to hear other feedback on the gun and I'll monitor the rail. I've not had that problem in the short time I've had it. Rail has been rock steady.

And I agree if the budget isn't there for a higher option then this is certainly a killing option. I have the funds for something with more bells and whistles, but with the way it's performed in the short time I've had it I won't be opening the wallet any time soon unless it's for an aftermarket choke.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

My brother shoots the same gun. It's a hammer with the factory choke at 40 yards paired with federal tss loads.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

northms

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on April 27, 2021, 01:38:05 PM
My brother shoots the same gun. It's a hammer with the factory choke at 40 yards paired with federal tss loads.

I've never shot TSS in my life until I got this gun and with the Nitro 3" #9s I've been shocked how well they patterned with the factory choke and knocked down that bird through some junk in front of him. Stone cold dead.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: northms on April 27, 2021, 01:53:55 PM
Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on April 27, 2021, 01:38:05 PM

I've never shot TSS in my life until I got this gun and with the Nitro 3" #9s I've been shocked how well they patterned with the factory choke and knocked down that bird through some junk in front of him. Stone cold dead.
My brother has never shot tss until this year. He doesn't like to spend alot of money on shells. He likes tss now.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny