OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hedging bets

Started by Bowguy, December 22, 2015, 04:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

There seems to be much talk bout longbeards. Personally Winchester, in my opinion did a great job getting a load to perform as desired. Props to em.
My thought after using it for a year is that it may not be the best load for many people. 

Take kids, you're wife or girlfriends first hunt, an elderly parent. The loads offer little room for error, least in my gun.
Turkeys often come in from a bad side or give you an awkward shot, come in bobbing their heads, spook and offer a quick shot.

I'd bet if most guys had a million dollars on the shot they'd be best with a great patterning, slightly more open pattern with less restrictive sights than the longbeards demand. They are impressive loads though and being myself and many others on here are gun guys they're sure to make your tail wag, Personally I'm going back to the Winchester XX turkey loads. I believe that in the few chances the longbeards are all that'll do the trick, the standard loads to me, are actually more often the better choice. Anybody else feel that way?

mwr

I'll stick with Longbeards. I think it more an issue of choke tubes, I think too many choke it down too tight!

870BkWht

I say shoot what you like and what shoots best. In my honest opinion though the longbeard is a far superior load and wins hand over fist any day that ends in Y. The plain XX loads don't shoot worth a hill of beans in either my 870 12 ga or my 870 20ga.  If I were going to go back to something else it would be remington premier HV lead #5

Bowguy

Yea it is a superior load when shooting at a stationary target. Less margin of error though. XX in my 835 throw great patterns. I've also seen great patterns with other loads including some of the hevi- type loads.
Also seen the same gun as mine hate the XXs but that's why we pattern them

Dr Juice

Quote from: Bowguy on December 23, 2015, 09:14:19 PM
Yea it is a superior load when shooting at a stationary target. Less margin of error though. XX in my 835 throw great patterns. I've also seen great patterns with other loads including some of the hevi- type loads.
Also seen the same gun as mine hate the XXs but that's why we pattern them
X2

MK M GOBL

Just call them close... at 15-17 yards I just put them down!

MK M GOBL

mwr

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 25, 2016, 12:03:13 AM
Just call them close... at 15-17 yards I just put them down!

MK M GOBL
Most his head is gone..............

yella yelper

I killed 2 in one shot with Longbeard 4's at 11 steps last year. I was surprised the front ones head was still attached but it was!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk