turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remember the star dot chokes?

Started by gobbler74, December 05, 2011, 05:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Boy if these arent darn close. I talked to the fella that owns the machine shop where these are made. They do outsource work for the company I work for an hour from my work.  He says they are tough chokes...I guess he would but just sayin. Might be something you guys wanna try so I'll just post a link. Don't know who all may carry these. Might be tough to run down. The shop that makes them can't sell direct.(yeah I tried) 

http://www.colonialarms.com/catalog.html
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gatrkyhntr70

Hey Jim, Those are great chokes; My good gunsmith buddy uses them for alot of guns that have tru chokes installed; they hold their own up against the big name chokes.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

keyser12ga

I have used a Stardot choke for a couple years and wondered who had the rights.  They are fantastic chokes, especially in a Mossberg 835.  I think you would be hard pressed to come up with a better choke in that gun.  Thanks for posting this.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Star Dot chokes were supposedly made by a company called Highlander Sports.  Now whether they were actually made by that company or not I can't actually say.  It very well could be possible that they were made by someone else.   That choke does look a lot like the Star Dot.   

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The Colonial Arms choke pictured looks like a carbon copy of the old Star Dot on the outside of the choke, but I wonder if it's the same on the inside?

$50-$55 each.

gobbler74

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on December 07, 2011, 03:46:26 AM
The Colonial Arms choke pictured looks like a carbon copy of the old Star Dot on the outside of the choke, but I wonder if it's the same on the inside?
$50-$55 each.

The Star Dot chokes were supposedly made by a company called Highlander Sports.  Now whether they were actually made by that company or not I can't actually say.  It very well could be possible that they were made by someone else.   That choke does look a lot like the Star Dot.

Hmmm..points to ponder. A lot of products out there that have a company name are outsourced.  But like I mentioned may be worth a try  :icon_thumright: 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gobbler74 on December 07, 2011, 12:15:19 PM
Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on December 07, 2011, 03:46:26 AM
$50-$55 each.

The Star Dot chokes were supposedly made by a company called Highlander Sports.  Now whether they were actually made by that company or not I can't actually say.  It very well could be possible that they were made by someone else.   That choke does look a lot like the Star Dot.

Hmmm..points to ponder. A lot of products out there that have a company name are outsourced.  But like I mentioned may be worth a try  :icon_thumright:  

Your right.  And those outsourced companies that make things for bigger companies protect their clients privacy and won't tell you whether or not if you were to call them and ask.  2 cases that come to point to me are rifle barrels.  Marlin 17HMR barrels to the best of my knowledge that I came to acquire were made and probably still are by Green Mountain.  That's why they shot so good.  Cooper Arms the company that was founded by Dan Cooper were using Wilson barrels on the majority of all their guns.  Don't know if they still are.  But alot of folks don't know that.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

The same can be said for the Primos Jelly Head chokes.  Who makes them?  Primos don't.  And the actual choke manufacturer that does won't or can't say due to contract privacy restraints.  But he's out there somewhere.  

allaboutshooting

There are machine shops all over who make chokes under contract for some particular brand or another. They usually sign "Confidentiality Agreements" that prohibit disclosure of their participation in the process, at least for some period of time. Some brands have had many different shops make their chokes over time. Brand names also change ownership from time to time.

Chokes can also have similar exterior appearances and quite different interior dimensions and performance qualities.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on December 07, 2011, 02:53:40 PM
The same can be said for the Primos Jelly Head chokes.  Who makes them?  Primos don't.  And the actual choke manufacturer that does won't or can't say due to contract privacy restraints.  But he's out there somewhere. 

Likely because Primos will slap em with a lawsuit real quick!
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

gobbler74

My lead is a straight forward guy. I asked him about the star dots from way back. He said he's only cut for colonial. We went on for awhile about the same thing you all mentioned. Brand names vs actual location of manufacturer. There are several well known chokes coming from around the world I IMAGINE, even if just blanks but as long as the quality is good most will be satisfied. 

gobbler74

Here are two elite turkey tubes from Colonial. One is 12 ga 12IVTPX (.670 BORE) and One is 20 20IVTPX (.570). Both for invector.

These are the standard elite series, not the extended elite as they list them. Extended are 2"

Does anyone use invector in 12 or 20?  

davisd9

Those things look dang close to my 835 Star Dot.  Would be interested on getting my hands on one for the 835.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gobbler74

Yeah might be worth a try. That star dot rocked in the mossy 835. I'm sold on Pure Gold and Indian Creek for the reason of quality and customer service. That means a lot to me.  I just thought about these because of the old star dots. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a couple after my first attempt came up short. I have an Indian creek in my 1300, The 20 will fit a Bantam I believe. I will be putting these in classifieds.