turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pine timber birds

Started by TauntoHawk, March 20, 2018, 08:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I'll tell you what...  Who ever took those pictures knows how to use lighting and frame a picture...  Excellent photos of a great hunt!

It was interesting to read the posts, as I hunt in California with rolling oaks and some digger pines...  The birds seem to far prefer a large digger pine over the oaks to roost in...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dr Juice

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Marc on April 18, 2018, 12:48:32 AM
I'll tell you what...  Who ever took those pictures knows how to use lighting and frame a picture...  Excellent photos of a great hunt!

It was interesting to read the posts, as I hunt in California with rolling oaks and some digger pines...  The birds seem to far prefer a large digger pine over the oaks to roost in...
Thanks the pics actually came off my new phone, the Google pixel 2 is the craziest cell phone camera. I like to get some good pictures if I can

I think the deal is their pines grow like 18inches apart and they cut them down once they are much bigger then a bush it seems. It's not the same type of pines as the big hemlocks we have up north the birds love those they are like a tower of great roosting. Here's a pic that shows how tight those pines grow with a little cigar smoke for the stroll out

We did encounter them roosting in pines but it was off of something like a 4 wheeler road where they had an runway opening to fly up and down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

honker22

Congrats on the great birds and awesome stache!
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

bbcoach

As I stated, pines are Great roosting sites for turkeys around here.  Not many hardwoods, since the pines are farmed for pulp and lumber, unless you get around swamps or close to rivers and creeks.  Fly ups and fly downs are normally done from field edges, roads, food plots and cut outs in the pines.  Poison Ivy is a staple around here, I often wondered why NC didn't select Poison Ivy as the State Flower and the mosquito as the State bird, LOL.  As you guys can see from the PICS, this is Eastern NC Turkey hunting at it's finest.  Hawk, I'm glad you Guys had a Great Time, killed a couple of Great birds and got away from the PA snows for a few days.  Come on back, if you guys get a chance.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: honker22 on April 18, 2018, 11:25:16 AM
Congrats on the great birds and awesome stache!
Haha I can't take credit for that one that's my buddy James from NY we do a bunch of our turkey hunting together and he's a heck of a woodsman

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dublelung

Congrats on the gobblers and on your trip to the real piney woods lol.