turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

From rabbits to turkeys

Started by TRG3, February 16, 2022, 11:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRG3

The Illinois rabbit season closed yesterday,  February 15th. This was one of the best rabbit seasons in memory. The lack of flooding in the Wabash River bottoms for the past couple of years allowed the rabbit population to grow and the tall grass fields along with brush piles from the 2017 tornado provided needed habitat. My buddy's six excellent beagles made the hunts very enjoyable and my little CZ Bobwhite .410 double coupled with reloads consistently did its job. Today, I'm starting to pack away the rabbit hunting "stuff" and starting to drag out calls, check decoys, inventory shells, etc. It will take a few days to mentally make the transition from rabbits to turkeys. It's now on to turkey season which opens in early April.

WV Flopper

For the last few years I have really busy with work at this point in time. It sucks because I do really like to rabbit hunting. Love to hunt with dogs or just jump shoot, either way.

Hopefully I have Sunday off, the weather looks right. I know where some white rabbits are that are just waiting on me. I ain't giving up yet, ours goes out the 28th.

Good to hear you had a great time.

TRG3

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 16, 2022, 06:51:47 PM
For the last few years I have really busy with work at this point in time. It sucks because I do really like to rabbit hunting. Love to hunt with dogs or just jump shoot, either way.

Hopefully I have Sunday off, the weather looks right. I know where some white rabbits are that are just waiting on me. I ain't giving up yet, ours goes out the 28th.

Good to hear you had a great time.

My records show that I went rabbit hunting 15 times during the Illinois early November-mid February season. I only jumped one rabbit that I saw, but the beagles picked up many more that moved before I got to their location. In my experience, it would have been nearly useless to hunt rabbits without good dogs. In addition, good dogs provide for the anticipation that the rabbit is coming your way, so get ready!

Cowboy

My Dad has some pretty good dogs. He hunted the last day of season and text me a message and said he had the best race he ever heard. That's saying alot considering he's 71!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TRG3

Quote from: Cowboy on February 16, 2022, 08:58:52 PM
My Dad has some pretty good dogs. He hunted the last day of season and text me a message and said he had the best race he ever heard. That's saying alot considering he's 71!

[/quote

Congratulations to your dad for continuing to keep hunting. I'll be 80 in late May, wear elastic sleeves on both knees, and carry a fold up lawn chair over my shoulder for resting my knees when the dogs are running the rabbit away from me. While I'm not overweight nor ever smoked, etc., I no longer have the leg strength to bust through briars and/or honey suckle, so I stick to trails made through the thickets by small game/deer and let the dogs jump the rabbits. In the near future, I'll probably be looking at a sling for my shotgun and a walking stick or two for balance concerns. Most all of my 15 rabbit hunts this season with my 55 year old buddy stretched from early morning until near dark, often hunting two days in a row. I've outlined all of the above facts to note that as we get older, adjustments have to be made if we want to continue to hunt. The option is to become a couch potato and lament for the good 'ol days. For me, these are "the good 'ol days".  I'm grateful for the health I have and the opportunities that God has provided.

Cowboy

Quote from: TRG3 on February 16, 2022, 10:09:52 PM
Quote from: Cowboy on February 16, 2022, 08:58:52 PM

[/quote

Congratulations to your dad for continuing to keep hunting. I'll be 80 in late May, wear elastic sleeves on both knees, and carry a fold up lawn chair over my shoulder for resting my knees when the dogs are running the rabbit away from me. While I'm not overweight nor ever smoked, etc., I no longer have the leg strength to bust through briars and/or honey suckle, so I stick to trails made through the thickets by small game/deer and let the dogs jump the rabbits. In the near future, I'll probably be looking at a sling for my shotgun and a walking stick or two for balance concerns. Most all of my 15 rabbit hunts this season with my 55 year old buddy stretched from early morning until near dark, often hunting two days in a row. I've outlined all of the above facts to note that as we get older, adjustments have to be made if we want to continue to hunt. The option is to become a couch potato and lament for the good 'ol days. For me, these are "the good 'ol days".  I'm grateful for the health I have and the opportunities that God has provided.
My Grandpa ( Dad's Father) hunted deer and turkeys and everything else up to the age of 88. He was fanatical about it. 24/7/365.

Bowguy

If your buddy has excellent beagles he prob runs them year round. This time of year the buck rabbits are reaching, searching. You lock onto one it's a fantastic big chase. My favorite time of year to run is now and for the next month. I understand the mental change to someone, I don't do it, I just do both but one day you ought to go with him this time of year to watch a run. Very different running for hours instead of a quick circle than bang and it's over. You get to really see the dogs right now