turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi shot #7 or magnum blends?

Started by drakekilla12, April 06, 2011, 11:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drakekilla12

I shot SBE II with jellyhead choke in 3" 2 oz in magnum blends and #7.

#7's: 266 in 10" cirlce and 83 in kill zone
MB: 191 in 10" circle and 59 in kill zone

Will 7's hit as hard as MB or should I stick with MB?

stinkpickle

I'd go with the #7's.  Will they hit as hard as MB?  Some of the pellets will (the #7's), but that would be irrelevant at 40 yards. 

drakekilla12

What would my chances be at 55 to 60 yrds? If I had the pellet count would the knock down power be good enough to cleanly kill a gobbler?

TauntoHawk

What jellyhead? .660 or .665?

The way I look at it is the 7's wil hit hard enough and there will be more of them.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

njdevilsb

I'd vote for 7's as they have been proven to kill beyond 40 yards.  The longest I have witnessed is 46, my longest is only about 18.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Belo83

60 yards seems like a stretch even for 7's. I know it's probably possible. But you begin to tip that ethical kill line. I think most would agree that the range for turkeys has long been established at 40, now with the hevi 7s, modern guns and chokes you can easily kill at 50...

WyoHunter

I don't think it matters for shots in the 40 - 45 yard range whether you use one or the other. I've killed gobblers with 7's in my 20 ga. and Mag Blends in the 12 ga. but because of a denser pattern with 7's in my 12 ga. I'll be using the 7's this year.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

sugarray

You have plenty of energy to kill to 60, but make sure your patterns hold true.  Of those 2 choices, I'd shoot the 7s.  My choice would be to sacrifice some numbers and shoot 6s.

drakekilla12

It's a .660 jellyhead. The way I see it if I get 20+ more pellets with 7's than I think it would hit harder than MB bc that shell is mostly composed of 7's anyways

cannonball