turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Striker Wood

Started by long spurs, February 13, 2011, 07:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long spurs

I had 2 great strikers that were on opposite ends of the spectrum according to the amount of rasp they had but they seemed to jump out of my vest while chasing turkeys.  I can not for the life of me remember what types of wood they were. I am looking for ideas on different types of wood that would make a clear yelp and real raspy yelp. I have a zebra wood that I'm not impressed with and of course I didn't lose that one.

Devastator

i would highly recommend an agate dymondwood striker from lightsout.
his company is in the links at the top of the page.

Longbeardfever4ever

When I make strikers usually the weight of the striker determines the clearness and the raspyness.. but wood types do affect the sound.  The three strikers I will carry this spring will be a lighter balanced purpleheart, a perfectly balanced colorwood, and an aluminum peg waterproof striker. But if I really wanted a clear yelp and a raspy yelp, I would carry a red cedar and a purpleheart. Just my two cents.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

paboxcall

The two that jump from my vest are a whittled osage and a whittled maple striker.  I carry a bunch more, but those two get 98% of the work.

John
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot