turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Couple of stupid questions...

Started by SteelerFan, March 26, 2016, 12:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

When I'm blowing short reed goose calls & duck calls, I never wear gloves due to sound / back pressure. Do lightweight gloves affect trumpets? Do you normally wear gloves or not??

Next, I've read here about #3, 4, 5 mouthpieces? I assume it pertains to the diameter of the opening? What effect does that have on the trumpet? Ease of air flow, or change in tone?

Please excuse my ignorance...  ???

CMBOSTC

They're not stupid questions. In my opinion, wearing gloves while using a trumpet is a matter of personal preference as to what you are will to settle for on quality of sound and how you run the call. Sometimes I'll run a trumpet with gloves on but it sounds better without the gloves. As for the hole diameter in the mouth piece, bigger the hole the easier the air flow. It does affect the pitch and tone.

Chris

ol bob

The smaller the hole the higher the pitch.

boatpaddle

I wear gloves, but I cut the first 2 fingers off of my right glove.....Both get burnt cork rubbed on them to remove the shine....

Smaller number has a smaller inside dia......There is more then mouthpiece dia. size involved in changing the pitch or tone...Length of the call, inside dia. of the call, timing of the call and the mouthpiece all play a part.....Air draw volume & speed play a very important part, too....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

SteelerFan

gblrklr

I use gloves with leather palms or sometimes just leave the glove off of my right hand.

M Sharpe

I stopped wearing gloves years ago while playing air operated calls. Deadens the sound too much.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

West Augusta

I cut off the thumb, index and middle finger off of my right hand glove about half way.  Gloves also effect the sound and grip of a striker.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

idratherb

Lonehowl

I don't know much about trumpets, but I'll throw I'm my opinion about wearing gloves while calling.
I do lots of predator calling year round and even in cold weather using hand calls I either wear a super thin glove or none at all. Mostly none at all...it just deadens the sound to much for my liking.

Just relating my experience.
Mark

Spitten and drummen

I stopped wearing gloves also. I keep my hands tucked behind my knees. Just move slow and nothing sudden. I haven't had any trouble getting busted by birds due to my hands. I still successfully continued to take birds. The thing about wearing gloves to me is it changes the sounds on all my calls. Must be the grip on my strikers. Even my box calls sound different. May just be in my head , but I'm gonna continue hunting glove free.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE