OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD vs Zink Avian-X?

Started by beagler, March 11, 2013, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkhooks

DSD! Made in America by Americans, I Always by American made when i can even if it costs more and it will be a better product anyway.

RutnNStrutn

I don't have either, but have hunted with friends who have both. I think the DSD's look very realistic, and the Avian's, eh, not so much. Both are too expensive for me.

opster246

I too himmed and hawed over this topic.  I watched the Avian X turkey show this past week and watched the Tom's come right in to the Avian X Decoys (don't they always on TV!).  Hunted with a buddy last year who had the Avian X decoys and they look good.  Kinda round and heavy but look good.  Watching the Toms stand right next to the Avians made me wonder if you had to make a shot near the decoy, what would happen if a stray pellet hit the inflatable decoy - for that $ I wouldn't want to patch it!  I have some of the Cherokee Sports inflatables that work good for packing in a flock.  They patch easy with the hot glue gun (which I am having to do more often now, seems the seams are letting loose) and were cheap.
BUT I finally decided on the DSD Jake and couldn't be more satisfied with the choice - for several reasons.  Watch the youtube video about their durability when shot - no paches necessary!  As for bulk, it is a bit bigger than an Avian X, but when they are that size it's too close to matter.  The best part of the DSD is the MADE IN AMERICA!!  Comes with a big 'OL Made in USA decal on the shipping box!  I ordered mine from Cabelas in mid Feb and it came on March 4.  Can't wait to get it out in the field.  I do have to say I used my Cabelas points and sold a Primos Killer B with 2 real fans on e-bay to get the DSD, but it was worth it in my opinion! Saving up for a DSD hen now - maybe next year. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

trippsims

I have the Avian X alert hen, and they look really good, to me. Although, I have never seen DSD's in person, or payed enough attention to say for sure. I just got the Avian X because they had them close to home. I do like that you can plop down where ever you like and use the decoy to help prop up on!

allchokedup

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 12, 2013, 09:02:07 AM
Mack's prairie wing has them in-stock.

Yep. I ordered the DSD Jake from them last week and got it in 3 days. I've seen the DSD and the Avian decoys at the NWTF Convention and there is no comparison...DSD all the way in looks and quality. My hunting partner purchased the Avian hen decoy and it would not stay inflated. They did give him a refund. He now owns all DSD decoys.

Sand Man

I have the Avian-X.  I bought it when they first came out.  I've had great success with it.  A good friend I hunt with had the DSD's...........3 or 4 IIRC until he sold them.  They 100% look more realistic than the Avian-X, but we killed just as many birds over the Avian-X as the DSD.  I found we carried the Avian-X most of the time as the hard sided DSD's are a PIA to carry in my opinion.  I like the fact I can 1/2 to 3/4 deflat the Avian-X to fit in my vest and with 2-3 good breaths of air it's inflated.  We just found due to the size and overall footprint of the DSD we never carried them unless it was an easy hunt with short walk.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

misfire

I voiced my concern about shooting the AvianX by mistake and the guy handed me one that was full of Winchester #5s and still held air. The other ting with the Avian, if things are slow and you get bored, that thing bounces like a basketball :TooFunny:
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Dave Smith

Hey guys, thanks so much for the support of DSD and the kind posts. First, I wanted to say sorry for the difficulty in getting DSD's this spring. It's a blessing and a curse. Please continue to check availability with Cabelas, Scheels, Mack's, Midway USA, etc. Also, if our website says "out of stock", I would still advise you to call our shop to order, as we may have decoys, or may have them soon. At the very least, you can get them sent to you the minute we have them and we can tell you when that will be as close as possible. The only time our website lists as in stock is if inventory is building, which, this year, it's not. We keep thinking that with so many other good decoys on the market, and even some knock-offs of our own, that sales will flatten, but, THANKS TO YOU GUYS, who take the time to post about your successes, we are surviving as an American business competing with Chinese labor, which is very rewarding. A couple responses to posts on here; I want to make it clear that AvianX has in no way copied us. We consider them friends and they have helped elevate and push this industry forward by creating very original sculptures. How I wish I could say that for all companies. Also, reference or experience with hard-sided DSD's wouldn't apply to any newer-model DSD's as all our made with A.C.E. technology, which is incredibly durable and somewhat flexible. To everyone who takes the time to tell a friend or post about your DSD success, and to Old Gobbler staff: All of us at DSD and all of our families could NEVER THANK YOU ENOUGH. We purposely don't have a Pro-staff to insure that every word said about DSD products will be accurate and un-prompted so thanks to everyone who takes the time. Good hunting to all this season! DS

mudhen

To chime in on what Dave said, even though the DSD website said out of stock, I emailed the office, and placed my order with them.  They said that would get my order on the list.  I think it was only 2 weeks before my decoy arrived, but maybe this close to turkey season now, it might take longer.

Also to chime in on AvianX, it's a perfectly good decoy, and I would probably use one if DSD had not come out with theirs.  They are a bunch of hunting fools at Zink for sure, and I have a great deal of respect for Matt Morrett as a turkey hunter.  I might even own one someday, and if they were closer to $59, it would be an easier decision...

I just prefer the DSD decoy, and I'm only going to carry one premium decoy, so I chose the one I liked.

Funny thing, my next favorite decoy, from an effectiveness standpoint, is the Primos PHD, or even my Sceerys  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka