OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The make or break decision

Started by RiverRoost, April 03, 2023, 10:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

In my opinion the hunt can be made or busted in one decision you make, YOUR SETUP at the tree. Was listening to a podcast with George Mayfield and got me to thinking, what are y'alls top tips or things you look for in a setup. Everyone is different and has different eyes, just thought it might be cool to see what's in everyone's perspective for a setup

Tail Feathers

I'm more of an expert on what not to do... :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dtrkyman

Shadows, terrain between me and the bird, something that keeps him from seeing my calling location until it's too late.  Typically abobe the bid or on the same level, rarely below.

It is just really situational and changes all the time, just gotta go with your gut sometimes!

Always point my left shoulder in the direction of the bird(right handed).

Often will move away from the bird to take advantage of a better set up when available as well as setting up in the middle of fresh sign.

guesswho

I try to visualize what the gobbler will see on his approach.   I like for there to be some minor visual obstacle in shooting range between me and him.  That can be a simple rise in the terrain or a blowdown, and shade is always a plus.  I want him to have to clear that obstacle in order for him to see the hen he's hearing.   I don't like wide open approach lanes.  It's been my experience that as soon as he gets to a point where he should be able to see that hen, he stops and is hard to convince to come any closer.   It's best that point is in shooting range.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WV Ridge Reaper

I agree 100 percent..I take the first shot I get,all it takes is that little movement or something and we have all seen how a 3 inch tree can hide a gobblers head until he's out of shooting range.

The way I think when I sit up..."lay like a snake in the grass"

Stand,sitting or laying it all works

Depending on the situation,pick a spot calling can help as well...and it does work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey46

Being in heavy shade as much as anything.  Every situation a little different.

ScottTaulbee

I agree that where you sit to one makes the hunt, for me, I look at where he is, what route I think he's most likely to take from knowing how they typically travel certain terrain, and then sit to him in a way that he has to come around a obstacle, wether that be a turn in a road, the crest of a hill, a downed log, etc. And then I put myself within 30 yards of that feature. I might stand, I might sit against a tee, I might sit on my knees, I might sit behind a tree, all that is situational. But what never changes is that I'm running his route of travel through my head and then sitting myself within an obstacle in his way that will have him in shooting distance when he steps out looking for the hen that I am. I also push the envelope I guess you'd say and I get myself within 100 to 115 yards of where I believe he is before I ever start working a series of calls on him after he's located, getting in his bubble always works best for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Shade / terrain and trying to convince him, that I'm the best looking hen in the woods...playing the game ...

jhoward11

Very little between him and I. I've set up real quick on a bird and had to try to shoot around a tree without him seeing me move. Didn't get the shot off. Sometimes you just have to plop down real quick like and other times you have time to choose. As long as it's a good size tree for back round, I'm good.

Marc

Great Thread!

So often overlooked.

I am hunting hilly areas, sometimes rather steep, sometimes rolling hills...  Rarely flat.  Usually rocky with lots of oak trees and a few digger pines.

Optimally, I like to set up on a saddle, in a situation that if I see a bird, I can shoot him.  I love a large tree with a rock or fallen limb in front of me.

I look for a spot to call a bird from, in which the bird has reasonable access to get to me.

If I sit in front of a tree, I look for a tree big enough to hide me, and that could allow me to turn (without being seen) on a bird that sneeks in behind me.

Generally, I would prefer to sit behind a fallen tree or large rock...  Allows me to call at that bird and seem like that hen is behind a rock he cannot see, and hopefully keep coming to catch a glimpse of that hen...  But, I am seeing lion tracks in the area I am currently hunting, and I also have to make sure that it would be difficult for a cat to sneak up behind me  (Ever since I had a bobcat come over the top of a large fallen tree I was hunting behind, I have been cognizant of this).

If I am in an unusually open area, I might sit behind a large tree (or rock, or fall), to sound like a hen that is behind the tree, so that bird will cover open ground without having to see the hen.

I have become aware (at least in the areas I hunt) that turkeys rarely make a straight line towards that hen...  At some point they are going to try and circle around, and often try to get the high ground on the hen.  I make sure that the area that I think is most likely for the bird to come in from is to my left (as a right-handed shooter).

If I can, I always try to work above a bird I am calling.  They WILL come downhill, but I have found it easier to get them to come up.

If I can, I will try to set up on a tree, that allows me to move to a better shooting position, depending on how the bird approaches.  I look for a good tree that allows me to shoot, and pick out other close hides I can get to without being seen. I have often had success, making a quick short move (while calling) to get into a better position, while also sounding like a moving hen (that often excites that tom to come forward).  Sometimes I move towards them, sometimes parallel, and sometimes slighty away.

And sometimes I am surprise by a close bird, and I get my butt on the ground, and hope for the best.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Kylongspur88

Take the high ground of possible and stay in the shade.

Zobo

Quote from: guesswho on April 03, 2023, 10:55:01 PM
I like for there to be some minor visual obstacle in shooting range between me and him. 

I think this way too. If there is no obstacle I'll quickly try and create one. I even carry a small piece of camo netting with me and sometimes quickly throw it up as a blocker. I can set it up in 10 seconds, got it down like a pit stop crew. Added benefit, it usually allows me to use any call I want.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Nice thread. Sun is a killer for sure. Stay in the shadows, sun in face you will be spotted. I always like to sit by a tree that is wider than me, no outline protruding. I always like to be on their level, or above them. On a ridge, I want to be just below a crest where when he pops up in front of me, he's at 30 yards or less. Know your terrain, making sure there is not a major obstacle ie; stream, fence, rock wall etc between me and an approaching gobbler. I chose my set-ups very carefully, a lot of times before the season. The spots I hunt have allowed me experience with gobblers in the past. I even clear leaves around nice set-up trees where I know Ive encountered gobblers before. I have some trees I've been lucky enough to harvest multiple gobblers from. Finally, I pick out a quick set-up tree PRIOR to each call I make while trolling for gobblers. I avoid open, bad, sunny set-ups whenever I can. If you do your homework pre-season, know the terrain, and monitor the sign you will increase your chances exponentially. It's a chess game of sorts, analyze and plan out every move to avoid CHECKMATE!. Be safe, good luck....
"Solo hunter"

hawgsalot

Lot's of good stuff, shade, big tree, low feature in front of you.  I like just over the hill method a lot.  I think the number thing is not being aggressive enough once you got him fired up.  There's a time to be quiet and patient, mainly when they are being patient but if he's fired up there's always a time you will lose him if you don't peak his interest.  Cat and mouse game on when to shut it down and let him find you but there's a critical time when if you're aggressive he'll break.

Dtrkyman

Forgot to mention standing, huge advantage in many situations, killed half my birds last season standing up!