turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Speed Bead vs. drill 'n tap for mounting fast fire III

Started by fredw, March 17, 2016, 05:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredw

Looking for recommendations on mounting a fast fire III on a Browning Maxus.  Burris is now selling a Speed Bead for the Maxus (under $70 on Amazon). 

Any recommendations on best way to go?

CrustyRusty

I would not drill and tap a Maxus.  The maxus that is factory d/t'd has bushings embedded in the top of the receiver.  They have them there for a reason.  I tried the fastfire mount on my maxus and it seemed like the perfect solution. 

But...it would not hold zero.  I tried everything that the Burris rep who used to be here recommended and nothing worked.  I eventually gave up and just used the front bead.  Because of the design of the rib it is difficult to find aftermarket adjustable sights that work and attach properly also.

As much as I ike the gun, it is now my waterfowl only gun. 

fredw

357MAGNOLE

I tried the speed bead mount as well. Not worth a flip (would not hold 0) and when I contacted Burris they told me to piss off basically.  Wont buy anything from them again.

Get a competent gunsmith with a good reputation to drill and tap it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

reynolds243

I don't have a maxis but I do have a sbe2 and a 20g M2 I put a speed bead on and LOVE THEM!

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

taylorjones20

I can't speak for the speed bead on the browning but like Reynolds said, the speed bead for the benelli is legit.  Rock solid!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

CrustyRusty

Hey Fred yes it was the speedbead. Sorry about the confusion.

Quote from: fredw on March 17, 2016, 06:28:12 PM
Crusty, was it the speed bead that you tried?

fredw

Thanks all for the replies.  I've decided to take the Maxus and the FastFire to a gunsmith and have him mount it.