Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

question about fast fire lll screws just spinning

Started by greentag, July 03, 2015, 09:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greentag

hey yall.i just got a new fast fire lll today,went to put it on a sbe2 using the back warne 2 piece base,first thing i had to do is file a little off the warne so the slot screw would fit,got that took care of put everything together,went to tighten the fast fire down,i drop the two screws in the holes,turn one a little then the other,the one the right snugged up but the one on the left never would tighten at all,i thought maybe it was the screw,so i got the other screw(they sent 3) tried it and it did the same thing,it was like it just spun freely,burris is closed,so i will have to wait to monday to talk to them,anybody else ever had this happen? if a person orders just the picatiny mount itself,does it come with screws?i had to wait almost two weeks for the sight to get here,now i cant shoot it and i was looking forward to trying it out cause im off all week for vacation.i thought about ordering a picatiny mount to try to get it faster but i dont know if they come with screws and as flimsy as the screws seem,im afraid i would have the same problem trying to reuse these screws.

stinkpickle

I'm not sure about the regular mounts, but the protector mount came with different screws.

Roost 1

why not use the 336 mount? Any good gunsmith would drill the mount to match the holes on your receiver..If you take the FF3 off will the screw tighten in the base? Im thinking the base could be stripped out in that one hole.

greentag

yeah the base is stripped,i called burris and the said they would mail me one out that day,no questions asked.im gonna at least shoot it with the new mount but it seems a little high,i have to adjust my head from normal to look through it,if i dont like it when i shoot it im gonna just try the speedbeed mount,it looks to be the lowest but if i dont like it,im gonna just put the ff on a pistol and go back to sights.

the Ward

Try swapping shims to raise the comb up. Might be enough to get a good cheek weld so you don't have to lift your head up to use the ff3.Or get the taller gel comb, it should work, too. Once you hunt with the ff3 you will love it!

backwater

As roost1 mentioned, take a look at the 336 mount.  After a ton of research, I went with the 336 and am very pleased.   It sets very low on my Nova.

greentag

i dont have any shims to try,i bought it with the steady grip already on,it only came with the steadygrip only. i like the looks of the 336,can you use the back two holes or do you have to use the front two? i read somewhere that there was'nt enough room on the mount to use the back two on the gun ? i dont know if thats right or not,but i would like it you could use the back,i like to carry my gun alot holding right through there were it would be with the front 2,i fould a speedbead mount a little cheaper than usual and have it coming,ill try it and if it doesnt feel right ill try the 336.got awhile to tinker with it til season.

greentag

took the warne base and the picatiny mount off and put a speedbead mount with the fast fire3, :z-winnersmiley:had to peck the pins out of the speedbead mount cause i have the steadygrip,once i did this got it on pretty quick,went and shot some today i really like it now,got it zeroed, now just gotta wait til the fall and try it out on a bird.

backwater

Sounds like you got it worked out.  Good luck on that fall bird.