turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TRUGLO TRU BRITE TOO BRIGHT!

Started by MDSTRUTNRUT, April 26, 2014, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDSTRUTNRUT

I have a TRUGLO TRU BRITE hologram site and believe it cost us a bird yesterday.   He came running in thru a woods at 40 yards and spooked.   The decoys were in field behind us  and we weren't calling or moving but the gun was pointing at the bird and the gun was facing east but not in sunlight yet.    I have seen this topic before but never saw a solution other than get another site.   Thought about a camo screen or even a magic marker but didn't know if someone else had any better plan.   I did email TRUGLO and am waiting for reply.  We took 6 gobblers with that same setup last year and 1 so far this year with no problem but now feel fireburnt and some unconfidence.     THANX IN ADVANCE! 

FL-Boss

I had the same sight.. and for the money you can't beat it. I never understood why folks would shell out big money for other sights when this one is half the price and has more adjustments.  With that said, the brightness level doesn't need to be above 2 in most cases to see the dot.. unless you are in direct sunlight.

Even at the higher setting, I really don't see it spooking a bird.  I have since went back to a regular sight, but it was because I didn't want to think about turning it on/off

EDIT - you are talking about the mirror finish at the end.. not the dot itself.  Yes,, I could see that would possibly spook at bird.

MDSTRUTNRUT

Yea site works GREAT but the mirror finish on end lense is my concern.   The pix shows my daughter selfie from this week and you can see it pretty obvious.     

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: FL-Boss on April 26, 2014, 11:40:29 AM
I had the same sight.. and for the money you can't beat it. I never understood why folks would shell out big money for other sights when this one is half the price and has more adjustments.  With that said, the brightness level doesn't need to be above 2 in most cases to see the dot.. unless you are in direct sunlight.

Even at the higher setting, I really don't see it spooking a bird.  I have since went back to a regular sight, but it was because I didn't want to think about turning it on/off

EDIT - you are talking about the mirror finish at the end.. not the dot itself.  Yes,, I could see that would possibly spook at bird.

X2

Frank G

Quote from: TURKEYSTALKER on April 26, 2014, 11:33:23 AM
I have a TRUGLO TRU BRITE hologram site and believe it cost us a bird yesterday.   He came running in thru a woods at 40 yards and spooked.   The decoys were in field behind us  and we weren't calling or moving but the gun was pointing at the bird and the gun was facing east but not in sunlight yet.    I have seen this topic before but never saw a solution other than get another site.   Thought about a camo screen or even a magic marker but didn't know if someone else had any better plan.   I did email TRUGLO and am waiting for reply.  We took 6 gobblers with that same setup last year and 1 so far this year with no problem but now feel fireburnt and some unconfidence.     THANX IN ADVANCE!

Take a look at the image you have posted, that's what the gobbler can see a "Mirror" you need to be very cautious using one, they are quality yes, work well yes but watch the sun. A quick redneck fix  :icon_thumright: take a paper towel / toilet paper tube cut it about 1-1/2" long cut length wise and tape it to the top of the sight, a quick shroud ....... hinders the sunlight reflection from almost any angel.   :anim_25:

Frank G  In Tennessee

fastford04

I've got truglo gobble stopper extreme I believe it's called with the red green dot an it has a sun shade as it calls it for the purpose. I like it good all around dot sight no issues this far.

Sent from Tiny's iPhone using Tapatalk

MDSTRUTNRUT

Yea you're right fastford04 TRUGLO emailed me back and said I got the wrong sight for turkey hunting.   They recommended TRUGLO GOBBLER STOPPER EXTREME too.   Talked to some friends that cover the lense until last second before the shot.   
PS   2 more gobbler dropped to my setup this week(9 in 2 years) so it does work but will be more conscious about exposing the lense too early, may upgrade next year.

fastford04

My buddy has one like yours an loves it I believe that's the only downfall to it.

Sent from Tiny's iPhone using Tapatalk

the Ward

The lense may or may not have spooked that bird. There are lots of shiny/ glittering spots in the morning after a heavy rain/heavy dew when the sun comes up in a clear sky. Puddles and dew on grass shine and sparkle but doesn't seem to keep the birds I've observed from going about their normal routine. Turkeys seem to be very keyed in on movement for survival as their eyesight is their main defense tool. You may have made a small movement that he picked up on as you were between the deeks and in his direct line of sight. Not saying that's what happened, but could be something to consider. I've used red-dots and scopes for years on slug guns, and the last couple on turkey guns and never noticed game being spooked by them unless It was my fault for trying to maneuver the gun when I should have waited. Every hunting situation is different however so I wouldn't say that the sight didn't spook that bird. Just something to consider before you change out a perfectly good sight.     :z-twocents: