OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Green Slate or Stoned Aluminum?

Started by Flintridge, February 17, 2023, 01:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flintridge

Looking for recommendations on what pot to get next. I usually carry a Crystal Mistress and have a Buster ceramic coming soon. So looking for another tone to carry and thinking green slate or stoned aluminum.  I hunt mainly in GA and surrounding states so humidity can be high some days. 

Greg Massey

Stone alum ... and little tip on keeping your pot calls warm on those cold and humid days ... use hand warmers ...  I don't use a vest and on those bad weather / cold / humid days i drop a couple of these warmers in my Glenda Green satchel and i will lay it on top of my pot calls while sitting up and calling etc.. i always carry a small hand towel to lay over the pot calls to help hold in the heat ... I carry a box full of hand warmers in my truck alone with everything else ... LOL

BTH

Hmmm, tough choice. I would say stoned aluminum then save up for a green slate a little bit later.
Phil 4:13

shatcher

Georgia = stoned aluminum = Lon Trice

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Flintridge

Quote from: REBELYELL on February 17, 2023, 10:09:23 PM
Quote from: shatcher on February 17, 2023, 08:29:03 PM
Georgia = stoned aluminum = Lon Trice

https://www.mackspw.com/Lonzos-East-Indian-Rosewood-Stoned-Aluminum-Turkey-Call

Funny you sent that because that's the exact one I was thinking of buying since I'm not sure of his turn times right now.   I know everyone mentions his acrylic but thought this one would work just fine too. 

Flintridge

Quote from: Zobo on February 17, 2023, 10:24:51 PM
Your gonna love that Buster ceramic

I'm looking forward to using that one for sure. Called Jeff the same day and got a couple more strikers to pair up with Busters call.  Both are really nice guys to talk with. 

jordanz7935

That's a tough one...... but I'm gonna go with green slate. Just more of a consistent player in real world hunting conditions/weather than a stoned aluminum. Aluminum can be finicky in cold wet wether. 

Zobo

Quote from: Flintridge on February 17, 2023, 11:58:09 PM
Quote from: Zobo on February 17, 2023, 10:24:51 PM
Your gonna love that Buster ceramic

I'm looking forward to using that one for sure. Called Jeff the same day and got a couple more strikers to pair up with Busters call.  Both are really nice guys to talk with.

I can run ANY striker on that ceramic call, it is not in the slightest bit fussy
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

wyetterp

Get both! Really....

With what you have now, adding those two will have you covered to run the gambit of tones & volumes. Never know what the turkey wants to hear.

Crystal, ceramic, slate & stoned aluminium is a perfect combo imo. Add in a good heavy cedar striker, along with your main one, & it will transform it into 8 completely different turkeys. You'd have young, old, raspy, clear & everything in between.   

I highly recommend Lonzo's green slate & stoned aluminium. It's the Marvin Gaye & Tina Turner of turkey tunes.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rong

For versatility I'd go stoned aluminum. I actually condition a small area with a scotchbrite pad and get different tones playing the conditioned area and the plain stoned surface.

Bowguy

Quote from: rong on February 19, 2023, 11:00:21 AM
For versatility I'd go stoned aluminum. I actually condition a small area with a scotchbrite pad and get different tones playing the conditioned area and the plain stoned surface.
It's no longer stoned. It's raw aluminum. I do the same though. Same for ceramic as well

aclawrence

Honestly all slates sound fairly similar. A stoned aluminum has a much different sound. If you already have some type of slate I would go for the aluminum.  I have a stoned aluminum from Buster that sounds amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

I have Lon's pots in both green slate and stoned aluminum.  Can't go wrong with either. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.