Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Diaphragm Call Hall of Fame Inductees???

Started by dnolan, May 18, 2011, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnolan

Am courious, if there was a Hall of Fame for Diaphragm Turkey calls, what call do you feel should get a vote and why?
Saved by grace....

TauntoHawk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dreis3

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 18, 2011, 04:03:19 PM
Hooks Executioner

X2! As it was once said "that call has a cult following"
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

keyser12ga

toss up between Dan Kendall "secret weapon" and "matriarch".

Roost Wrecker

Knight and Hale Triple Beard, and Tom Teasers Bloodcut

lightsoutcalls

It depends whose mouth the call is in.  I can call a bird with a number of mout calls, but after hearing some guys run a variety of mouth calls... makes me want to slip mine in my pocket as I leave the room.   :o

I know that is not what you are looking for.  I had the privelege of attending the AR high school calling championship this spring and hearing Jim Pollard's son (sorry I don't remember his name) run some mouth calls.  SERIOUSLY!  After hearing him run his calls, there is no chance I would be caught running a mouth call in the same county.  If he keeps his head on straight, that guy will be the future of mouth calling... mark my word.  He was nailing every little inflection on every call he ran.  I get chills even now...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

culpeper

Wendell, I know exactly what you mean, it really does depend on who is running the call.  I have heard guys run a call that I struggled with and play it like ANY live hen I have ever heard before--simply amazing.

RaspyD

Perfection Super Double D.  It was the first mouth call with more than one reed.  It was introduced in 1972.
Perfection Turkey Calls

dnolan

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I find it very interesting to see where we are today in comparison to where it all started, like with Perfection Super Double D...wonder how many birds came to that call over the years... 

Am a passionate waterfowler and compare it to duck and goose calls, the materials and guts systems available today are unbelievable and bring it to a completely higher level. However, I have a deep appreciation for the custom call maker that still spins them out one at a time and especially those tried and true "old school" calls like the Half Breed and Olt key hole D-2.

Getting back to turkey diaphragm call- I have never run one of these yet but hear the Primos Limbhanger may fall into this category as well???

Saved by grace....

TarheelTurk

Quote from: moonman on May 18, 2011, 08:48:57 PM
Quaker Boy old boss hen.

X2 (called my first turkey in w/ the help of this call), would have to add Preston Pittmans "Black Diamond " as well. But im far from an expert on running a mouth call.
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

ncturkey

The turkeys seem to like the Hook's three reed combo cut mouth call called "The Pro" this year.