OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Camouflage

Started by Huckleberry91, August 01, 2020, 12:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

But,,, If the dog turd don't move..

Turkeyman

I'm always far more concerned about contrast rather than pattern. Sitting up against a huge white birch give me a Tyvek snow suit.

Turkeytider

Quote from: saltysenior on August 17, 2020, 08:22:06 PM

But,,, If the dog turd don't move..

....then it most likely won`t matter what it`s wearing.

Huckleberry91

I think several folks took this and ran the wrong direction with it. Im in complete agreement that the best camo is sit still and quiet, theres no mistaking that. Theres also not any mistaking that every pattern has its time and place, no camo fashion here just making some turkey talk and pointing out that ive seen a trend in the old camos making their way back.

GobbleNut

As you say, Huckleberry, it is a good topic for off-season discussion to pass some time. 

In the end, each of us has our own preference in camo,...and our own reasons for choosing it.  Most camo, when used in most places, will "work" if the chosen "hiding spot" is compatible with it.  If I am hunting somewhere that I know the habitat, I am inclined to choose a camo pattern that fits that habitat in some general manner.  However, I am also confident that even if my choice is out of place for whatever reason, I can choose my set-ups such that my camo will blend in,...or at least suffice. 

Some of the patterns that seem to be very popular with other hunters, including both old designs and new, just don't "float my boat", if you know what I mean.  Unless something looks to me like it will be glaringly out-of-place where I am going to hunt, I am inclined to choose the camo that suits my personal "tastes" best.  I am also inclined, all other factors being equal, to choose the product that fits my personal limitations on price.  Personally, I don't buy into the "if it costs more, it must be better" mindset. 

Loyalist84

I don't think individual camo patterns makes that much of a difference. However, I do own two sets. I have a dark realtree set of pants and a button down shirt for early in the season, and a set in Obsession in the same getup for the last couple weeks of may. Greenup can happen pretty fast in my neck of the woods, and I really think it's contrast that plays the biggest part in the camo pattern itself being effective. If you have low contrast and low movement, you're cutting out two huge variables.

But that said, I've also killed turkeys before work in a pair of khaki carhartt pants and a grey hoodie - so you never know.

Chuck1443

Back drop and stillness, in my opinion is of most importance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redleg06

Adding to my previous reply-  If given the choice, I try to buy something that will fit all the stages of the seasons. This is just my opinion and thought process-  I love Natural Gear, for example, because no matter what part of the country I hunt, the tones of gray, and some brown mixed in, always seem to blend in...whether that be out west in sage country/arid country, back east in the timber etc...  I don't own much Obsession (again just for example ) because in early season before green up, the lighter green stands out a little more and it doesn't blend as well and it doesn't blend as well out west where you see more light gray/ sandy colored terrain.

That's just my personal thoughts on being camo specific but my top priorities are comfort (I like the poly/dry fit type material cause I sweat and hate to feel damp all day) and price, then specific pattern type.

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: redleg06 on August 22, 2020, 11:14:39 AM
Adding to my previous reply-  If given the choice, I try to buy something that will fit all the stages of the seasons. This is just my opinion and thought process-  I love Natural Gear, for example, because no matter what part of the country I hunt, the tones of gray, and some brown mixed in, always seem to blend in...whether that be out west in sage country/arid country, back east in the timber etc...  I don't own much Obsession (again just for example ) because in early season before green up, the lighter green stands out a little more and it doesn't blend as well and it doesn't blend as well out west where you see more light gray/ sandy colored terrain.

That's just my personal thoughts on being camo specific but my top priorities are comfort (I like the poly/dry fit type material cause I sweat and hate to feel damp all day) and price, then specific pattern type.

I also really like the Natural Gear camo. I feel like the science behind it is solid....however, its hard to find clothes brands that use their camo except Natural Gear clothing. I do have some Banded brand waders for duck hunting in Natural Gear camo but mostly their camo is only on their brand clothes....and I don't like many of their clothes. I went down the camo rabbit hole researching it a while back. I really think that for most animals...muted colors and sitting still is all you "really" need. However, ducks and turkeys have much sharper eyesight than big game animals and so camo is more important. That being said.....I wear Bottomland, first lite fusion, old woodland, mossy shadow grass, realtree apx all for different situations....but mostly if what I need for the temperature/weather is in some sort of camo...I'll wear it rather than pick the camo for how it looks. If the leaves are off the trees....I try to go with camo that is browner/greyer. If leaves are on....something with a tad more green in it.

ShootingABN!

Camo is great marketing. Appels more to the hunters than to the game.

LOL I do like the old school Greenleaf. :)

Huckleberry91

I think outline break up and back drop are two of the most important factors. Earth tones never hurt if you're hunting hardwoods you'll find about all of those colors and more.

Sir-diealot

I think the major reason you are seeing some of the old patterns coming back is the same reason bell bottomed pants and corduroy made a comeback, good old fashioned nostalgia.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Huckleberry91

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 23, 2020, 12:25:30 AM
I think the major reason you are seeing some of the old patterns coming back is the same reason bell bottomed pants and corduroy made a comeback, good old fashioned nostalgia.

Absolutely. Old school cool!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Huckleberry91 on August 23, 2020, 12:29:56 AM

Not a big fan of the old stuff myself, does not work well in the area I hunt, when I could still hunt outside of a blind anyway. I think the newer patterns are better in some ways and in the right conditions the older styles may be better as well. I like old Mossy Oak Breakup myself, some might call that old. I do like new Bottomland much more than the original. I ended up picking up a pair of pants in I think it was called greenleaf this year because they were the size I needed and cheap, kinda started to like it to be honest. Here is pic in case I have the name wrong.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 23, 2020, 12:39:54 AM
Quote from: Huckleberry91 on August 23, 2020, 12:29:56 AM

Not a big fan of the old stuff myself, does not work well in the area I hunt, when I could still hunt outside of a blind anyway. I think the newer patterns are better in some ways and in the right conditions the older styles may be better as well. I like old Mossy Oak Breakup myself, some might call that old. I do like new Bottomland much more than the original. I ended up picking up a pair of pants in I think it was called greenleaf this year because they were the size I needed and cheap, kinda started to like it to be honest. Here is pic in case I have the name wrong.
Looks like Greenleaf to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk