OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cherries and Coco

Started by kenturkey89, May 17, 2011, 11:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenturkey89

Well after a couple weeks of being busy I've finally found some time to do a little shop work. Here is two different sets of calls, one cherry and one cocobolo along with a cocobolo ink pen that I turned out as well. One of the cherry pots is bronze glass/canary and it sounds unbelievable, it's exactly what I want from a glass call and I have taken every measurement possible on that call because I will be making many many more just like it in the future. The other cherry pot is bead blasted bronze glass/glass and it sounds half as good. I've quickly learned that I hate blasted glass. I don't think it sounds near as good as regular bronze glass and I think it's harder to play on too, at least for me it is, so I won't be buying anymore blasted glass...regardless, the pot still turned out nice.

The two cocobolo calls are both slate/glass and just finished up gluing a few hours ago and they both sound good. They have the most distinctive roll-over of any of the calls I've made, but I've learned that my calls sound much better after they've been glued up for about 3-4 days, I guess it takes a while for the plumbers goop to really set up, I could be just imagining things though. This is my first time working with cocobolo and it was an absolute joy to turn it's some of the prettiest wood I've ever laid my eyes on.

One thing I'm happy about is that I've finally found "my own" design that I'm happy with and I really like the looks of. The pictures don't do a good job of showing off the curves and lines in each of the pots but my photography skills are very limited. I'm also happy because I think I'm on to something with the one cherry pot (thanks to Scott Hembrook) because it's full of more turkey than my other pots combined.

I will be piddling here and there with the pot calls and experimenting with more wood/surface combinations but I'll be spending more of my time turning out some strikers because I haven't done much with them yet. Hope you like the calls and thanks a lot for looking!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Brian

WyoHunter

Nice work! Pretty calls!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Cut*N*Run

NCStrutter

Very nice work.  Glad you got the sound you are seeking.  That's always a magical moment to run a call you've made and say to yourself "that's it.... that's the one"

Jeffro
"For it is in the Woods, Marshes, and Fields that Retrievers make thier own legends and become our Heroes"

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

lightsoutcalls

The pot design looks great!  It's interesting to hear different folks take on the blasted glass.  I think alot of that has to do with an individual's style of playing a call (of course pot design and striker choice effect it as well). 

Nice work.  Keep it up.  :)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!