turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

surface conditioning ?

Started by TarheelTurk, May 17, 2011, 10:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TarheelTurk

My friend has a call w/ a blasted aluminum surface and i was ask what to use to condition it. So what do you guys recommend? I suggested a scotchbrite pad or maybe 120 sandpaper. But really wanted to check w/ yall first. Thanks
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

dreis3

If it's a bead blasted surface and not just anodized aluminum he should be okay with just an alcohol pad.

-Derick
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

Last Strut Calls

Quote from: dreis3 on May 17, 2011, 11:32:32 PM
If it's a bead blasted surface and not just anodized aluminum he should be okay with just an alcohol pad.

-Derick

Yup an alocholic prep pad is what you should use. Dont touch it with sandpaper!!!

lightsoutcalls

The bead blasting is done to put a texture on the aluminum.  Using any kind of abrasive defeats this purpose. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TarheelTurk

Its a powder blasted aluminum surface if that makes a difference?? ok so alcohol prep pad (jus so i understand ) are yall refering to the small pads w/ alcohol on them used prior to say for instance before a needle stick or am i way OFF ? Thanks for the help so far , sorry if this seems crazy but the only aluminum call i have was jus plain aluminum. THANKS Soooo Much up to this point though!!
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

lightsoutcalls

The alcohol pads you described are what I use.  I buy mine in the diabetic supplies at walmart.  Seems like they run a couple of dollars for 100 or so.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TarheelTurk

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 19, 2011, 10:30:07 AM
The alcohol pads you described are what I use.  I buy mine in the diabetic supplies at walmart.  Seems like they run a couple of dollars for 100 or so.

Thanks for helping me get this straight. Its greatly appreciated everybody!
Jason

Houndstooth Game Calls

So on anodized you use alchol prep pad also just curious for my own knowledge!

savduck

Dang...I sand all the aluminum calls i own, even the anodized ones. I think the striker grabs better.
Georgia Boy

mmusso

Quote from: savduck on May 23, 2011, 11:38:42 PM
Dang...I sand all the aluminum calls i won, even the anodized ones. I think the strker grabs better.

I do too. It makes a night/day difference in sound and playability to me at least...

doepee

I have a couple of anodized aluminum pot calls that are getting worn out.. I know that you can try rain chalk, but what do you guys use to rough up your aluminum calls, what grit sandpaper?  Thanks

Cut*N*Run

I don't think you'll be able to bring it back to the original texture- prob have to go for broke and condition it like glass. 50 grit down to 110 grit maybe?

The anodization will get sanded off and you'll get some oxidation build up on the aluminum that you'll need to scotch brite off now and then. Beats throwing a worn down aluminum call away though.

savduck

Quote from: doepee on May 24, 2011, 12:13:11 PM
I have a couple of anodized aluminum pot calls that are getting worn out.. I know that you can try rain chalk, but what do you guys use to rough up your aluminum calls, what grit sandpaper?  Thanks

I prefer 120 grit and go in a circular pattern, all random directions. i dont push down to hard though. Im just trying to put light grooves in the surface and not deep gouges.

For the build up in the stirkers I switch back and forth between scotch bright and 220 grit sandpaper. i find that only using scotch bright will polish your striker tip instead of totaly cleaning it.
Georgia Boy

Roost Wrecker

I dont sand the bead blasted because u dont have too just use alcohol pad. But i do sand the anodized but I like to only sand in the direction of the wood grain that way I can play across it to get the call at its best sound. Just my two cents!