OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine

Started by Sir-diealot, June 30, 2020, 01:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Shirley Grenoble did some articles for Turkey and Turkey hunting. She was from PA I believe. She got shot once by another hunter. Good writer that Shirley.

Sir-diealot

Lot of good female writers back then, they never really got the credit they deserved. Not known for turkey hunting, more bow hunting but I always liked Brenda Valentine myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Old Timer on July 06, 2020, 08:20:59 PM
Shirley Grenoble did some articles for Turkey and Turkey hunting. She was from PA I believe. She got shot once by another hunter. Good writer that Shirley.

I couldn't remember her name but that's her and yes she was from Pennsylvania and wrote for Turkey magazine. She was also in one of the early Primos Truth videos I think it was number 3.
     Her son was shot in the face and in the same season she was shot 3 times by two hunters? Heck of a story they hit her, she's screaming and they continue to shoot? Luckily she was only hit 3 times and survived.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on July 07, 2020, 11:50:10 AM

I couldn't remember her name but that's her and yes she was from Pennsylvania and wrote for Turkey magazine. She was also in one of the early Primos Truth videos I think it was number 3.
     Her son was shot in the face and in the same season she was shot 3 times by two hunters? Heck of a story they hit her, she's screaming and they continue to shoot? Luckily she was only hit 3 times and survived.
Crazy enough that both she and her son were shot but to keep on shooting when somebody is screaming? Maybe one more shot but not two! When I say maybe one more I mean maybe your finger would have the time to shoot a second time before your brain registered but two more times is shocking. Friends get on me because I am so particular about shots I take, this is why.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 07, 2020, 06:27:46 PM

Crazy enough that both she and her son were shot but to keep on shooting when somebody is screaming? Maybe one more shot but not two! When I say maybe one more I mean maybe your finger would have the time to shoot a second time before your brain registered but two more times is shocking. Friends get on me because I am so particular about shots I take, this is why.
You can look up her story it was actually 6 shots from two idiots at the same time, only 3 hit her. Hard to believe two people could be that stupid at the same time. From what I remember they lost their hunting privileges for 5 years they should have been thrown in prison. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on July 07, 2020, 06:54:42 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 07, 2020, 06:27:46 PM

You can look up her story it was actually 6 shots from two idiots at the same time, only 3 hit her. Hard to believe two people could be that stupid at the same time. From what I remember they lost their hunting privileges for 5 years they should have been thrown in prison.
That's just insane!

John Koenig:

GunRunner

Subscribed and enjoyed every issue.

It sure would be nice to see the magazine return. Maybe Dave Owens and the Pinhoti Project could bring it back with the same quality of articles on hunting and the biology of wild turkeys.

GunRunner

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GunRunner on July 09, 2020, 05:54:43 PM
Subscribed and enjoyed every issue.

It sure would be nice to see the magazine return. Maybe Dave Owens and the Pinhoti Project could bring it back with the same quality of articles on hunting and the biology of wild turkeys.

GunRunner
I would love to be able to sit in on an entry level course on turkey biology. I can't remember the guys name that is getting a lot of mention right now but I look at his stuff and it mirrors a love of Lovett E. Williams, Jr.'s stuff. Not saying that the guy is stealing any of Lovett's stuff mind you, just that Lovett was that far ahead of the game that a lot of his stuff is being paralleled even today.

John Koenig:

GunRunner

The most noted turkey biologist that I am aware of today and since Dr. Lovett Williams passed away is Dr. Mike Chamberlin, Wildlife Ecology and Management Professor at The University of Georgia. He like Williams specializes in wild turkey biology.

GunRunner

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GunRunner on July 10, 2020, 05:19:21 PM

The most noted turkey biologist that I am aware of today and since Dr. Lovett Williams passed away is Dr. Mike Chamberlin, Wildlife Ecology and Management Professor at The University of Georgia. He like Williams specializes in wild turkey biology.

GunRunner
Yes, that is his name, I have heard him talk a few times and seen several of his graphs and many of them look like they could have come right out of The Book of the Wild Turkey by Mr. Williams.

John Koenig:

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 10, 2020, 05:28:45 PM

GunRunner
Yes, that is his name, I have heard him talk a few times and seen several of his graphs and many of them look like they could have come right out of The Book of the Wild Turkey by Mr. Williams.
Yep. I pointed out the same thing on another thread. Lovett already covered most if  not all of the things he is currently speaking on. A lot of today's hunters don't know who Lovett was or that most of this guys info is either second hand from Lovett or he's wasted grant money redoing the same studies? I don't know what would be worse. What I'd like to see is ALL every last dime of any money spent on research done on the decline of the populations and what can be done. We already know how many eggs the average hen lays, and we know the statistics of the hatch survival hasn't changed since Lovett wrote about it. Hard to believe the low hatch survival of turkeys is such a "new" revelation been in print for 30 years. I wish Lovett would have made it to the podcast era only way some people get information these days.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on July 10, 2020, 06:11:16 PM

GunRunner
Yep. I pointed out the same thing on another thread. Lovett already covered most if  not all of the things he is currently speaking on. A lot of today's hunters don't know who Lovett was or that most of this guys info is either second hand from Lovett or he's wasted grant money redoing the same studies? I don't know what would be worse. What I'd like to see is ALL every last dime of any money spent on research done on the decline of the populations and what can be done. We already know how many eggs the average hen lays, and we know the statistics of the hatch survival hasn't changed since Lovett wrote about it. Hard to believe the low hatch survival of turkeys is such a "new" revelation been in print for 30 years. I wish Lovett would have made it to the podcast era only way some people get information these days.

I had said this both here and on Mike Chamberlin's page in the past but got no response. Honestly the graphs look close to identical and the "findings" have also been close to identical looking to Mr. Williams stuff. I have said that a couple of times on Mr. Chamerberlin's posts with no reply at all and some people belittling me and even some saying that Mr. Williams must be stealing Mr. Chamerlin's work. People just don't know what they are talking about. (Not that I do on this level at all)

By the way, back in the 70's around here you did not see many coyote, I know a set of guys that have an article that they were in for catching a coyote and that was a really big deal back in 1970 when they did that. When the fur industry got attacked you saw that impact a lot of game including the turkey as well.

John Koenig:

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 10, 2020, 06:54:23 PM

GunRunner

I had said this both here and on Mike Chamberlin's page in the past but got no response. Honestly the graphs look close to identical and the "findings" have also been close to identical looking to Mr. Williams stuff. I have said that a couple of times on Mr. Chamerberlin's posts with no reply at all and some people belittling me and even some saying that Mr. Williams must be stealing Mr. Chamerlin's work. People just don't know what they are talking about. (Not that I do on this level at all)

I guess I missed that thread. No surprise though, there is a large group of "turkey hunters" that seem to think this whole thing started in 2017 lol. Most think a certain YouTuber invented the US slam and traveling turkey hunters. You know who they are when you see the open mouth stares when you ask them about Doc and his 3 going on 4 US slams. I said it before Lovetts work is going to fade into history because a lot of  people nowadays can't/won't read and if it's not on YouTube or read to them S-l-o-w-l-y on a podcast they can not comprehend it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on July 10, 2020, 07:38:58 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 10, 2020, 06:54:23 PM

GunRunner

I guess I missed that thread. No surprise though, there is a large group of "turkey hunters" that seem to think this whole thing started in 2017 lol. Most think a certain YouTuber invented the US slam and traveling turkey hunters. You know who they are when you see the open mouth stares when you ask them about Doc and his 3 going on 4 US slams. I said it before Lovetts work is going to fade into history because a lot of  people nowadays can't/won't read and if it's not on YouTube or read to them S-l-o-w-l-y on a podcast they can not comprehend it.

The part where the person said Mr. Williams was taking Mr. Chamberlains stuff was on Facebook and if I remember right you do not do Facebook? Here I had just made the simple comment that the stuff looked a lot like what Mr. William had done.

John Koenig:

GunRunner

Have not read much of Chamberlin's work and do not do FB, but I am not at all surprised that his research mirrors William's. And you guys are on point with the population decline.....that did not just start in the last few years.
Talking about decline, I see comments about poor management and layoffs at the NWTF. Do you guys know if their habitat enhancement and restoration projects are still active and if so are they effective and making any headway?

GunRunner