OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ash for a call?

Started by Sir-diealot, December 13, 2020, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 13, 2020, 05:39:28 PM
Does anyone happen to have a pot call made of Ash? If so what surface/soundboard combinations and what do you think of them? I would like to see some pictures and hear some soundfiles if possible.

The reason I am asking is one of the woods I remember cutting splitting the most when I was young and working in the woods with my father was Ash wood, I remember it burned well and long so was desirable. I would like to get another call that would remind me of him, I have a Applewood and Black Mullbery Frictionwood call from Grizz that reminds me of some old memories and would like to add an ash as well. Who would you guys suggest getting one from? Thank you for your time.

I guess I should add I am looking to do this around March or April, I am already set with 3 call makers for calls in January and February.

Good luck Steve. Great picture of your dad. He could have played for the Giants... be well my friend
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tom007 on December 14, 2020, 08:13:53 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 13, 2020, 05:39:28 PM
Does anyone happen to have a pot call made of Ash? If so what surface/soundboard combinations and what do you think of them? I would like to see some pictures and hear some soundfiles if possible.

The reason I am asking is one of the woods I remember cutting splitting the most when I was young and working in the woods with my father was Ash wood, I remember it burned well and long so was desirable. I would like to get another call that would remind me of him, I have a Applewood and Black Mullbery Frictionwood call from Grizz that reminds me of some old memories and would like to add an ash as well. Who would you guys suggest getting one from? Thank you for your time.

I guess I should add I am looking to do this around March or April, I am already set with 3 call makers for calls in January and February.

Good luck Steve. Great picture of your dad. He could have played for the Giants... be well my friend
He DID play for the Giants for part of the 68 season but was cut because he was legally blind in his left eye. Hold On, I will share a picture here if I can find it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 14, 2020, 08:48:09 PM
Here you go.

Wow, that's fantastic. What a treasured memory Steve. Congrats......I am sure you are proud.........be safe
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

Yes I am, miss him every day still. You be safe as well.

John Koenig:

Tom007

Amen my brother, I miss mine too.......
"Solo hunter"

longbeards

I live in WV, and the ash bore has pretty much killed all of our ash. I am cutting it primary for fire wood just trying to get it out of the way. I can saw you off a good 6x6inch piece and mail it to you if you would like to use in your call. Straight grained and pretty!! Shame to have to burn it!!
Its white by the way
longbeards

Sir-diealot

Quote from: longbeards on December 22, 2020, 04:17:01 PM
I live in WV, and the ash bore has pretty much killed all of our ash. I am cutting it primary for fire wood just trying to get it out of the way. I can saw you off a good 6x6inch piece and mail it to you if you would like to use in your call. Straight grained and pretty!! Shame to have to burn it!!
Its white by the way
longbeards
I thank you for the offer, I truly do but somebody here has already offered to make me the call. I would be interested in buying it from you but could not until January. I remember when Ash was a dime a dozen, cut them down all the time in the firewood business. What I would not give to have the body back to do that kind of work again, funny how you hate doing something when you are young and then when you get older you wish you could do it again.

John Koenig: