OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poults Everywhere this Morning

Started by bbcoach, June 22, 2020, 11:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Got up early this morning and went to our lease for some food plot and shooting lane maintenance.  Arrived about 7 am and had multiple hen and poult sightings.  I believe the total sightings was 6.  Poult counts were between 6 and 8 in each sighting.  Little ones are running around and in flight mode here in Eastern NC.  Looks as if the future is Bright.  Good Luck Little Fellas, hope to see you next Spring.

turkeymanjim

That's a really good sign for what's to come in the future. I have seen 8 to 10 hens by themselves, and not a poult to be found  with any of the hens here in pa.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: turkeymanjim on June 22, 2020, 11:58:48 AM
That's a really good sign for what's to come in the future. I have seen 8 to 10 hens by themselves, and not a poult to be found  with any of the hens here in pa.

Same here in Missouri

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Jim, it maybe a little early in PA hopefully.  I thought ours should be larger but most look to be about a month old.  They did have their wing feathers and were flying but they were only about the size of a young quail.  They didn't have those long legs and neck yet.  You guys should be a couple weeks behind us.  Hopefully your sightings will increase by the 4th.  Good Luck!

ChesterCopperpot

That's really good to hear! In the western part of the state we had an absolute washout of a spring and I'm not seeing many at all.

nativeks

blake_08

Seen 3 separate hens the other day. No poults between the 3. Eastern birds in Oklahoma.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

While it`s always nice to see them, important to remember that they make a living out of NOT being seen.

bigbird

My farming buddy's have seen some around here. Didn't say anything about the numbers just that they've seen some. That's awesome news for you guys

Sir-diealot

Unfortunately someone I know ran over a hen and nest last week cutting hay, total loss.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Spring Creek Calls

Had several poults run across my driveway on the way to town this morning. At least 6 but the hen was already across and I caught the tail end. Poults in June are pretty early around here (MI). I'm usually getting worried in July cause I haven't seen any and suddenly there they are mid to late July.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

RS

Quote from: bbcoach on June 22, 2020, 11:53:37 AM
Got up early this morning and went to our lease for some food plot and shooting lane maintenance.  Arrived about 7 am and had multiple hen and poult sightings.  I believe the total sightings was 6.  Poult counts were between 6 and 8 in each sighting.  Little ones are running around and in flight mode here in Eastern NC.  Looks as if the future is Bright.  Good Luck Little Fellas, hope to see you next Spring.

What county were you in?

I'm hopeful at our club because of all the hens we were seeing during the season this spring, but I
haven't see any poults so far.

bbcoach

Quote from: RS on June 23, 2020, 06:26:02 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on June 22, 2020, 11:53:37 AM

What county were you in?

I'm hopeful at our club because of all the hens we were seeing during the season this spring, but I
haven't see any poults so far.
Part of our lease is in Jones and part in Craven.  The poults I saw were all in Jones.

RS

OK, the place I've been hunting is a ways north in Halifax County near the border with Nash and Edgecombe counties.

Turkeytider

Here in Georgia on the Georgia Outdoor News turkey forum poult sighting report, there seems to be a larger number of poultless hens being spotted. Dr. Mike Chamberlain attributes the majority of this observation this time of year to lost nests/poults. Not good.