Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lets talk dedicated / favorite turkey gun?????

Started by ShootingABN!, June 18, 2020, 08:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

TX_Gobbler

21" barreled Benelli M2 with a RMR red dot, RR Final Strut choke tube .655

Had the receiver drilled and tapped at Benelli and put a Scalarworks Mount on it for the RMR.  They will drill and tap the receiver with four holes for $80

Finally having it camo dipped right now after a few years without.  Waiting for it to get back to me in the next month or so!

ShootingABN!

Quote from: TX_Gobbler on June 25, 2020, 11:05:11 AM
21" barreled Benelli M2 with a RMR red dot, RR Final Strut choke tube .655

Had the receiver drilled and tapped at Benelli and put a Scalarworks Mount on it for the RMR.  They will drill and tap the receiver with four holes for $80

Finally having it camo dipped right now after a few years without.  Waiting for it to get back to me in the next month or so!

Awesome you'll have to post a picture with its new skin.

countryboy3006

I started off with a mossberg 835. I have been using a Remington 870 supermag 26 in barrel for the last 18 years and have slowly upgraded it to a strictly turkey gun.  I have added a Knoxx blackhawk adjustable stock and drilled and tapped the receiver for a Vortex Venom red dot.  I use a carlson longbeard choke and 3.5 in 5 shot longbeards.  Has been a great combination for me and the adjustable stock makes it work for a couple youths I have taken out just use smaller shells.

ShootingABN!

Quote from: countryboy3006 on June 25, 2020, 01:14:04 PM
I started off with a mossberg 835. I have been using a Remington 870 supermag 26 in barrel for the last 18 years and have slowly upgraded it to a strictly turkey gun.  I have added a Knoxx blackhawk adjustable stock and drilled and tapped the receiver for a Vortex Venom red dot.  I use a carlson longbeard choke and 3.5 in 5 shot longbeards.  Has been a great combination for me and the adjustable stock makes it work for a couple youths I have taken out just use smaller shells.

That's awesome. I added a Blackhawk stock to my ole 870. ;)

Kylongspur88

Circa late 90s 870 supermag with a 28 inch pipe and rattle can paint job. It not a picky gun and poa and poi are either right on or very close with many loads. I've got a fiber optic bead it but that's the only modification I've made. The longer barrel gets in the way at times but makes a difference on the pattern board. It won't win any beauty contests but it's a good gun.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: LaLongbeard on June 18, 2020, 06:12:28 PM
12 gauge Wingmaster not a single piece of plastic on the whole gun( buttplate is hard rubber) flawless American made performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya... nothing beats the balance and feel of a wooden stock shotgun. With that said... my dedicated turkey guns are plastic.

Mossberg90MN

12 Ga Mossberg 835 Turkey with 24" barrel, Indian creek choke (can't remember the size), Tru Glo Micro Red Dot Sight

But what I'm getting ready to potentially switch over to at least for when I got a lot of walking and climbing to do...

Stoeger M3020 20 gauge Turkey edition, had the barrel shortened from 26" to 22". Indian Creek choke .562, Burris FastFire 3. Currently in real tree, getting it dipped this summer in bottomland.

Apex #9s for both

High plains drifter

Quote from: fallhnt on June 18, 2020, 01:17:42 PM
My buddies old Remington 12 GA 870 upland. He bought it when he was 17.
I got it when he passed away.
I had a short barrel and converted it to a turkey gun. I also use a Remington  870 that was given to me by my hunting buddy who died.12 gauge,  super mag, 26 inch, extra full rem. Choke,  sling, real leaf camo.I shoot 1 7-8 oz.copper plated lead BB'S.FEDERAL GOLD

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on June 25, 2020, 09:00:28 PM
Circa late 90s 870 supermag with a 28 inch pipe and rattle can paint job. It not a picky gun and poa and poi are either right on or very close with many loads. I've got a fiber optic bead it but that's the only modification I've made. The longer barrel gets in the way at times but makes a difference on the pattern board. It won't win any beauty contests but it's a good gun.

This one has had several rattle paint jobs...LOL

AndyN

Can't say I have a dedicated turkey gun but my M2 20 with a 26" barrel is my primary shotgun for everything.

shatcher

870 20 gauge, Sumtoy choke, Sumtoy mount with Burris FF3, TSS # 9 handloads.

idgobble

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 20, 2020, 08:28:57 AM
Quote from: idgobble on June 19, 2020, 11:52:06 AM
Stevens 12 ga. I've been using since 1957 although never started using it for turkeys until the '70s. Only good to about 25 yards but I haven't tried TSS in it.

Is it a fixed modified?

Yes. And I'm not going to have chokes installed.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: idgobble on June 28, 2020, 10:16:15 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on June 20, 2020, 08:28:57 AM
Quote from: idgobble on June 19, 2020, 11:52:06 AM
Stevens 12 ga. I've been using since 1957 although never started using it for turkeys until the '70s. Only good to about 25 yards but I haven't tried TSS in it.

Is it a fixed modified?

Yes. And I'm not going to have chokes installed.
Reason I asked was my wife shoots an old single shot fixed modified and it was always a 20-25yd gun but that TSS shoots amazing out of it. I bet in the 12ga it would do well.

Ranman

My turkey gun has been a Remington 870 20 ga. 26" barrel with Carlson's.575 choke. I have also used my Benelli Montefeltro 20ga. Carlson's .575 choke. Just bought an 870 youth with 21" barrel. I put a sureshot stock on it, and a Vortex Venom. I've been shooting TSS in my 20's for a few years, and they have been deadly.