OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lets talk dedicated / favorite turkey gun?????

Started by ShootingABN!, June 18, 2020, 08:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

Well lets talk about your favorite turkey gun. What is your go to? Make, Model and gauge? How long have you had it?

So I started off with a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge with 28" barrel and a fixed choke. Then went with a turkey model Remington 870 12 gauge 21" barrel. This was in the late 80's early 90's. Then in the 2000's I got a Charles Daly Maxi-Mag 12 gauge 3.5" 24" barrel..... So I got on the Nitro custom shells and the Heavyshot.

I see so many are going to 20 and 410 and TSS.

I love my old Remington and carry it every once in a while.... But my Charles Daly is my go to, because man I hit's them hard.

Thanks for taking the time to read and share your thoughts.
May God bless you and your family.

Dtrkyman

I picked up a mossberg sa20 turkey thug cheap on gunbroker.

Added a tru glo adjustable rifle sight and Indian creek .555, shooting Hal's big 20xl number 9 tss, its a lethal combo!!!

May add a vortex venom but have no issues with the current sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

My Remington 11-87 20 ga.  Had it dipped last summer as the only complaint I had was rusting on the bluing.  After getting it dipped I am very happy with it.  It has a 26" barrel and she balances great.  I use the Tru Glo right sights with JH .570 shooting 1-5/8 oz hand load. I have had it since 2013 I believe. There are other guns I am interested in buying but it would take a lot for one of them to take the 11-87's place.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

1ST DRAW

Remmington 870 Express 12 gauge. Bought it while in college 25 or so years ago. I needed a gun I could beat around in the woods with and use it for deer with a rifled choke, turkeys with a Jellyhead chocke, geese, rabbits, skeet, and sporting clays. I have a scope used for deer and turkeys but remove it from the barrell for evrything else.   

It is a great gun but weighs 9.5 lbs with the scope and is almost 50 inches long.

This year I am shopping for a SA459 20 gauge exclusively for turkey hunting. I want to lighten the load and shorten the overall length.

btomlin

In 2006, my cousin won a Legacy Sports Hatsan 12ga semi auto at a banquet.  I took him to do some patterning work as he wanted to use it for the upcoming turkey season. 

He fired it one time and said 'it kicks too ***** hard!!!, I'm not firing it again".  I jokingly said I'll give you $200 for it after seeing the pattern.  Sold!!

It has been my gun ever since.

Jinx statement time:  I went back to gun hunting in 2008.  So far "we" are 100%.....like I said "jinx statement".

Plain black 28" barrel sporting a brass bead sight with factory full choke . Not flashy but effective.

bigbird

I have a Winchester SX3 20 gauge  with a 26" barrel shooting tss 7's. I wanna put a vortex Venom on it but haven't decided yet. I have tru glo fiber optic sights on the vent rib. I also wish I had a 24" barrel M2 20 gauge but I think I'll just keep using what I have.

Spitten and drummen

I have a benelli m2 with the barrel cut to 22" and a winchester sx3 20 gauge. Both dipped in greenleaf and both about equal hunting time. My benelli super black eagle 12 gauge was my dedicated turkey gun until about 6 years ago.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

turkeymanjim

My go to gun is a benelli cordoba preformance shop 20 gauge with a burris fast fire 2 shooting TSS #7x9 shot. I have this gun for 5 years. I also have same gun in 12 gauge, but prefer the 20 gauge because of weight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fallhnt

My buddies old Remington 12 GA 870 upland. He bought it when he was 17.
I got it when he passed away.
I had a short barrel and converted it to a turkey gun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

Depending on were i'm hunting , decides the gun and gauge i'm using .. 12, 20 or 410 .. the gun i use the most is Remington 870 - 20 gauge .. I enjoy my dedicated turkey guns just about as much as my calls ... it's all part of hunting these gobblers .. Sometimes i will take the old double barrel hunting..

ChesterCopperpot

I've only ever had one dedicated turkey gun and it's a used 12ga Benelli Supernova I found in a pawn shop for cheap. Had a jellyhead choke in it, but I put a Carlson extended in it that shoots a little better. It's a beater, but I like it. This season I started falling in love with the gun my wife carries, which is just an old New England Pardner SBI single shot 20ga fixed modified. Shoots TSS incredibly well and is super fun to tote around all day. Easy on the knee and easy to the shoulder. Makes me think more and more about hopping onto the single shot train.

greencop01

My go to turkey gun is a 12ga 870 SPS Turkey/Predator shotgun w/ the Remchoke that came with it topped w/ a tri-color Triton Tru-Glo. It's deadly out to 40 yds.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

bbcoach

I'm in the minority now with everyone going the 20 TSS route but mine is the tried and true Mossy 835 12 gauge with 3 1/2" Hevi 7's through a Pure Gold .670 choke, topped with a Bushnell Trophy Red dot scope.  I've got plenty, for a lifetime, of the old Hevi 7 lots that shot so well, so WHY CHANGE?

Tom007

Go to, Benelli SBE steady grip turkey with Bushnell BDC scope. Pistol grip is comfortable when calling. Rob Roberts .660 choke patterns real well with Fed Heavyweight 6's. Great thread, thanks....
"Solo hunter"

Brian Fahs

Remington sp-10 22 inch barrel. Bought it in 1993. Added a indian creek choke vortex venom sight. Shoot #7 TSS out of it. I absolutely love this gun. When it goes boom stuff dies.
Recently added a benelli m2 12 gauge with 21 inch barrel. Indian creek choke and #8 tss. It's at carolina graphic enterprises right now getting cerakoted and dipped. Mounting a sumtoy base for a vortex venom.
Today picked up a franchi affinity 3 in 12 gauge 26 inch barrel. If it patterns I will get it dipped and leave it in vent rib for now. Just for fun.