News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Slate Strikers?

Started by Turkeytider, June 03, 2020, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 03, 2020, 07:22:29 PM
Clay Townsend persimmon snakewood or Fowler Osage top snakewood ...

I have a Fowler osage/snakewood. An absolutely GREAT striker from one of the greats. I bought two of them, the other going to my friend and hunting buddy of over 50 years.

paboxcall

Jeff's heavy cedar or black walnut yelp and purr nicely on slate.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Sir-diealot

I am not an expert but somebody here mentioned black locust a few times in threads like this in the past so I went out and got one and I am glad I did. I also like persimmon and hickory.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 03, 2020, 11:32:35 PM
I am not an expert but somebody here mentioned black locust a few times in threads like this in the past so I went out and got one and I am glad I did. I also like persimmon and hickory.

I have a Halloran hickory and a Stuckey persimmon that I`m looking forward to trying. From the very soft to the hardest, I`ve got various representatives to try on my new red slate/redheart Sinclair pot. I really appreciate all the input. It`s helped me to select out those that I`ll try.

Tom007

Here is one Jeff from JLH made me a few weeks ago. Spalted maple top, Maccasar Ebony bottom. Sounds great with slates, especially green slate. Jeff is a good guy too.
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeytider on June 04, 2020, 08:02:00 AM

I have a Halloran hickory and a Stuckey persimmon that I`m looking forward to trying. From the very soft to the hardest, I`ve got various representatives to try on my new red slate/redheart Sinclair pot. I really appreciate all the input. It`s helped me to select out those that I`ll try.
I have a couple of persimmons I like including a Stuckey and I have 4 of Halloran's and like them very well (2 Ipe, 1 Jatoba, 1 Purpleheart) and intend to get his other 1 piece strikers. If you have not checked out JLH here yet then be sure to do so, he makes excellent strikers at a fair price and is good to deal with as well. I actually intend to order a black locust from him just to compare it to my other one as each maker had a different sound.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 04, 2020, 09:29:28 AM
Quote from: Turkeytider on June 04, 2020, 08:02:00 AM

I have a couple of persimmons I like including a Stuckey and I have 4 of Halloran's and like them very well (2 Ipe, 1 Jatoba, 1 Purpleheart) and intend to get his other 1 piece strikers. If you have not checked out JLH here yet then be sure to do so, he makes excellent strikers at a fair price and is good to deal with as well. I actually intend to order a black locust from him just to compare it to my other one as each maker had a different sound.

I have several of Jeff`s  that I`ll be trying. Great guy, great strikers.

bbcoach

Turkeyrider, I'm a pot guy.  I normally carry 4 or 5 different kinds with me at all times and twice that many strikers.  I pull my pots out the first of January and start practicing.  I play every pot with multiple strikers daily and decide by our opener which ones I have the most Faith in and sound the best to me.  When I hit the woods, multiple pots and strikers will get used everyday.  With each pot and striker combo, I sound like a different hen.  I let the birds tell me what they like for that particular day.  For me, practicing and experimenting with different sounds will normally get the JOB done.  My 2 cents!

Buckrub

Quote from: bbcoach on June 04, 2020, 05:33:49 PM
Turkeyrider, I'm a pot guy.  I normally carry 4 or 5 different kinds with me at all times and twice that many strikers.  I pull my pots out the first of January and start practicing.  I play every pot with multiple strikers daily and decide by our opener which ones I have the most Faith in and sound the best to me.  When I hit the woods, multiple pots and strikers will get used everyday.  With each pot and striker combo, I sound like a different hen.  I let the birds tell me what they like for that particular day.  For me, practicing and experimenting with different sounds will normally get the JOB done.  My 2 cents!
Exactly what I do, religiously, every year !! This year I went heavy on the glass, ceramic & red slate !!

bobk

Hickory,  black locust and Snakewood  run well for me on grey and red slate.

yelpy

You want a raspier deeper sound order a Blackstone green slate in cedar pot. It deep and raspy. Deeper than any other that I have had in a slate call.

southern_leo

Depends on whst sound your going for. I mainly run diamond wood, hickory, cedar, and yellow heart

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Beards and Hooks

Like alot of the previous mentioned though I didn't see anyone mention (could be wrong) walnut, I really like walnut strikers on slate, have a Bill Lyman in particular that is awesome.

Turkeytider

Received my Sinclair Redheart pot red slate. Still trying a variety strikers but I`ve heard enough to know that it`s going to give the deeper tones to compliment my higher pitched aluminum and crystal pots. Slate is definitely a different sound.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Turkeytider on June 07, 2020, 06:29:45 PM
Received my Sinclair Redheart pot red slate. Still trying a variety strikers but I`ve heard enough to know that it`s going to give the deeper tones to compliment my higher pitched aluminum and crystal pots. Slate is definitely a different sound.
It does sound different, and heck to me I like it the most of my pots love the slate pots the best. A double sider is really good as well have a Mark Cunningham glass with slate back I really like and have a Ernie Fetters glass front with slate on the back being made as we speak I am looking forward to getting.