OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

More on YouTube Turkey Hunting

Started by GobbleNut, May 30, 2020, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfire

One thing I would like to point out is, the calling may not be as bad as you think. Most of the cameras being used have very poor microphones, thus the sound quality is awful.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

West Augusta

That is very true Misfire.  Found that out last weekend. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

GobbleNut

Quote from: misfire on June 03, 2020, 09:14:02 AM
One thing I would like to point out is, the calling may not be as bad as you think. Most of the cameras being used have very poor microphones, thus the sound quality is awful.

This is very true.  Anybody that has tried filming hunts with a cheap video camera without a remote mic knows this fact.  Nonetheless, there are some guys that just aren't very good callers that are getting it done.

My point with the original post really wasn't to be critical of those YouTubers at all.  You can't argue with success, as they say.  My point was that, under a given set of conditions, what some of us consider to be "good" turkey calling ain't really all that important.   

eggshell

QuoteMy point was that, under a given set of conditions, what some of us consider to be "good" turkey calling ain't really all that important.   

That is true Gobblenut, but when you find the guys that are consistently successful year in year out they are generally pretty good callers. Like someone already said, the quality may not be as important as know what call to make when. In other words, know the language.

I have tried recording my calls for a quality check and your right, poor equipment makes calls sound worse than they are.

LaLongbeard

The Realtree 80 yard shot video was removed. Maybe the Utubers will realize the majority of Turkey hunters don't like such garbage. There will always be wannabes and crutch huggers but for now they have to go back in the closet we're they belong no real hunter wants to see it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Dtrkyman

Some youtube videos do make me feel awfully good about my calling ability!  Though I have always said it is not nearly as important as set up and reading a bird.

I called in a pair of toms across a field from a few hundred yards once, every time I called they came, as soon as I stopped they lost interest and started moving off the field, finally I just let it rip, about ran out of breath calling but they came right in, never would have killed that bird had I not had a visual! 

Paulmyr

I was set up in public woods along a private field where I knew gobblers hung out. I was calling sporadically with some low key yelps and what not. Every once in a while I would get a courtesy gobble from 2 different directions maybe 150 to 200yds away. One would come from the edge of the woods I was in and the other from out in the field on the backside of a small rise. After about an hour and a half I let out a cutt. Got an immediate response from the bird in the woods. Cutt again and a gobble came from out in the field. I decided to let it all hang out cutting aggressively only stopping to take a breath. Gobbles erupted from out in the field as well as the bird in the woods. I kept on cutting. Soon I was slobbering on myself. 5 Tom's came up over the rise gobbling moving from left to right. The Tom in the woods came out in the field from right to left, met up with the 5 Tom's, turned and came running straight to me. When he started to come my way I stopped calling. He stopped about 30yds out in the field. A couple more yelps and he came running again. I put the hammer down on him the when he came into the woods off of the private.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

quavers59

Matt Dale has really good Videos. Ol Turkey Master has a good Channel and shows how it is done in the Smokey Mts. And Bill Schmidt has both Spring + Fall Turkey Instructional Videos focusing 100% on Public Lands.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Paulmyr on June 15, 2020, 07:34:08 PM
I was set up in public woods along a private field where I knew gobblers hung out. I was calling sporadically with some low key yelps and what not. Every once in a while I would get a courtesy gobble from 2 different directions maybe 150 to 200yds away. One would come from the edge of the woods I was in and the other from out in the field on the backside of a small rise. After about an hour and a half I let out a cutt. Got an immediate response from the bird in the woods. Cutt again and a gobble came from out in the field. I decided to let it all hang out cutting aggressively only stopping to take a breath. Gobbles erupted from out in the field as well as the bird in the woods. I kept on cutting. Soon I was slobbering on myself. 5 Tom's came up over the rise gobbling moving from left to right. The Tom in the woods came out in the field from right to left, met up with the 5 Tom's, turned and came running straight to me. When he started to come my way I stopped calling. He stopped about 30yds out in the field. A couple more yelps and he came running again. I put the hammer down on him the when he came into the woods off of the private.

And what does this have to do with YouTube?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Paulmyr

Quote from: LaLongbeard on June 15, 2020, 07:40:08 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on June 15, 2020, 07:34:08 PM

And what does this have to do with YouTube?
It was in response to the reply prior to mine and the all the others about bad/ good calling, knowing what to say and when to say it. Maybe I should have included all the quotes with my reply to help you out.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

zeke632

Quote from: Jbird22 on June 02, 2020, 10:11:44 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on June 02, 2020, 10:37:59 AM
Let Realtree know that you don't approve of what they are sponsoring...
Watch this first ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2NYy0rdw50 ... You'll recognize the shooter as the owner of Realtree and his son as the one holding the strutter deke and bragging about the long shot using TSS, even though the turkey flew off and had to be searched for.
I quit watching Jordan's stuff years ago because it all seemed staged, as did this.  It's just weird to be fist bumping after you just shot a turkey and watched him fly off...my bet is that they found the turkey and re-shot the recovery part of the video.  Just BS   They are just making commercials for themselves and sponsors.

catman529

The great thing about YouTube is that anyone can post a video. The bad thing about YouTube is that anyone can post a video.

There is a dislike button and comments section for a good reason.

I'm kind of glad I didn't watch the 80 yard video before it was taken down. Sure we have all made some crappy decisions, it's part of learning. From what I hear though, they didn't take it as a learning experience until they caught flak on the video.

On the original topic - I'm not a very good caller, but can do OK and usually limit my vocalizations to yelps, cutting and clucking. When you find that bird you want, and find the setup you want, a few yelps is usually what will kill him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GobbleNut

Quote from: catman529 on June 18, 2020, 11:43:47 PM
The great thing about YouTube is that anyone can post a video. The bad thing about YouTube is that anyone can post a video.
There is a dislike button and comments section for a good reason.
I'm kind of glad I didn't watch the 80 yard video before it was taken down. Sure we have all made some crappy decisions, it's part of learning. From what I hear though, they didn't take it as a learning experience until they caught flak on the video.
On the original topic - I'm not a very good caller, but can do OK and usually limit my vocalizations to yelps, cutting and clucking. When you find that bird you want, and find the setup you want, a few yelps is usually what will kill him.

I personally very much enjoy your videos catman.  Keep up the good work showing how it is supposed to be done!   As you state, anybody can start posting videos,...and some of them, without question, need to be called out on occasion.  Yours, however, have been outstanding.   :icon_thumright:

eggshell

After you said something I went and looked at Catman's youtube channel, Gobblenut. You do a fine job catman, I'd share the water and woods with you.

Like those flatheads man.

catman529

Thanks Gobble Nut and eggshell, I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro