News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TURKEY HUNTING BINOS

Started by 0369GYSGT, May 28, 2020, 01:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0369GYSGT

Hello all,

I'm in need of a small set of binos for turkey hunting.  I don't want to say "compact" size and I don't need a full size set either.  I'm in Michigan and hunt both open fields and wooded areas.
I've screened alot of manufacturers websites and tried to get a idea on what size's are available.  I think I would like something in the 7x28 range and one manufacturer that stands out is Maven.  They have a C2 bino for $200 that has decent reviews and they also have a B3 model that seems very good.

What sizes/ manufacture do you recommend for me to look at?  I want to keep it minimal and also large enough to be very usable.

Thanks

zeke632

I use 8x28 Vortex Diamondbacks. Seem to be the right size for me and didn't break the bank.  I don't hunt many fields but am around clear cuts and they have served me well.  Like everything else it's a matter of choice but you can't beat the Vortex lifetime guarantee.

bbcoach

My preference is a pair of 8X42's with a bino harness like the Vortex Glasspac.  The harness lets the binos rest on your chest and allows easy access when needed.  I don't even know they are there until I need them.  The 8X42's are Great for fields, roads, pastures and woods.  10x's shake too much but the 8's seem just the right power for both visibility and steadiness.

Marc

I am currently using the Cabela's brand compact binoculars...  8x25 optics, which are surprisingly good.  The optical quality appears to be as good or better than Steiner or Nikon in similar powers... 

The Cabela's are waterproof, but the warranty currently sucks...  Used to be life-time I believe...  Then went to 2 years, and I believe is currently 90 days.  I think they might be re-branded Vortex.

They seem to go on sale for about $129.99 every so often, and I used my Cabela's points...  Been very happy with them, and they stay around my neck while I am turkey hunting, or even in the truck driving in & out of properties...  They are the first piece of equipment that comes out, and the last to be put away.

I do like the compact binoculars...  I am not looking to gauge the antlers on a deer at 400 yards, and the compact give me a good field of view, good clarity, and I can pick out turkeys and tell the long beards from the jakes at distances that I would not even go after them to hunt them...  I do NOT see the down-side of good compact binoculars.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INTENSITY-COMPACT-BINOCULARS/2317805.uts?slotId=4

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

RS

Been using  pair of Leupold Bx-1 8x25 for 2 springs now. Very pleased with them so far.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Turkey hunters are opinionated folks and those opinions tend to vary a lot.

Personally, I run Zeiss 10x42 Terra EDs.  They are full size but I wear them in a S4 harness and you'll never see me without them.

Compact no binoculars certainly have their redeeming attributes but I find myself looking at turkeys 35+ days each spring from 60 yards to a mile away, from flydown to fly up, and that's why I prefer 10x magnification with 42mm objectives to maximize light gathering capabilities.

You'll use binoculars more if they are quickly accessible to you which means they are around your neck via harness or straps.  I'd recommend a harness regardless what decide.

Greg Massey

I personally don't like heavy or big pair for turkey hunting .. I have pair of Vortex Diamondback 10 x 28 that are awesome and they fit my needs...

Brian Fahs

Swarovski 10x 42 el sv. I run them in a marsupial chest rig. I do not hunt anything without them. Im good to 2-3 miles with them on a tripod. I regularly roost turkeys on public at those distances. I've had people pull up to my truck and ask what I'm doing. It's comical. Most guys are looking at 100 yards or so. They have no clue.

rakkin6

Quote from: zeke632 on May 28, 2020, 02:50:05 PM
I use 8x28 Vortex Diamondbacks. Seem to be the right size for me and didn't break the bank.  I don't hunt many fields but am around clear cuts and they have served me well.  Like everything else it's a matter of choice but you can't beat the Vortex lifetime guarantee.
Second this, they are at a great price point has clear has Leupold and have a lifetime guarantee.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Tail Feathers

I chose Bushnell Legend 10X25's, mostly due to good experience with them and they were the lightest.
I'm very pleased and they already survived a season and a fall from my truck on concrete without damage.  Very clear and bright, good FOV and only 9 oz.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

deerhunt1988

Been using those Maven 7x28 for the past two springs. Love them! They are perfect for my style of hunting. Make the purchase, you won't be disappointed.

rgref522

i loved my 10x32 vortex. i think they are an older talon model. use them for everything except scouting from road i go to 12x50s

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ShortMagFan

My choice is Zeiss Victory 8x32 in a Rick Young Outdoors harness