Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wondering what the hevi 7's craze is about?? Interesting stats..

Started by Longshanks, May 16, 2011, 10:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 17, 2011, 02:03:44 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 17, 2011, 01:52:43 PM
Quote from: deadbuck on May 17, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
Longshanks,

It would make it easier for us compare to all the other data we digest if you use a 10 inch circle instead. Not complaining.

No problem, i just had some turkey targets from Quaker Boy on that round of testing that had a 12 in circle on them.  Kinda prefer those on testing lead but normally use the 10in with testing HTL.  If you are checking pattern retention it shouldn't effect your deterioration percentage greatly. Sorry for the confusion.

Wait...are you using a pre-drawn 12-inch circle?

Its just a Quaker Boy big paper target with a 12in circle on it. POI/POA is on. The heavy part of the pattern is in the circle. No way to cheat and get higher numbers like i see some folks do.... Going to the outer edges of the pattern to count numbers is not reflective of the pattern density if your POI/POA is on.

HogBiologist

but if there is a denser portion of the pattern outside the POA area, then your POA is not your POI.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Longshanks

Quote from: LaBiologist on May 17, 2011, 03:09:25 PM
but if there is a denser portion of the pattern outside the POA area, then your POA is not your POI.

If the center of the target is the center of the pattern and the pattern is evenly dense which is the case here i believe my POI/POA is on...and therefore a non-issue.

When you are aiming at the center of the target and the center of your pattern is there..if the shot is heavier to one side... the Point of impact is off and counting pellets outside of the center and reporting numbers is not reflective of an effective pattern.  Ive seen folks try to add 70-80 shot by counting the outer edge of their pattern.

HogBiologist

yes, that is correct.  But youwere saying that others go to the outside of their patterns and get higher numbers.  in that case the POA is not the POI.  This would indicate that the densest part of the pattern was not centered in the POA area.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

WyoHunter

Quote from: Longshanks on May 16, 2011, 10:50:13 AM
Rem 870  Kicks .655 

Winchester 1 7/8  6's ( Grey Box)
   *306  hits in a 12in circle @ 30yds
   *94   hits in a  12in circle  @ 40yds

Hevi 7's  3/2/7's
    *337 hits in a 12 in circle @30yds
    *233 hits in a 12 in circle @40yds

Big difference in how the pattern covers the 30 to 40yd range.. :o
This should answer the question without much explanation IMO.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Longshanks

Quote from: LaBiologist on May 17, 2011, 03:14:30 PM
yes, that is correct.  But youwere saying that others go to the outside of their patterns and get higher numbers.  in that case the POA is not the POI.  This would indicate that the densest part of the pattern was not centered in the POA area.
The first issue with POA/POI is: If you draw a circle around the pattern is the center of the pattern where you aimed?

The second issue with POA/POI is: Is the shot evenly distributed or heavier to one side of the pattern?

The first issue is easier fixed than the second allot of times.

We are on the same page.. :)

2much2loud

pretty cool post .... it is pretty interesting how much of a drop there is between 30 and 40 yards....thanks longshanks

Longshanks

Quote from: 2much2loud on May 19, 2011, 04:13:53 PM
pretty cool post .... it is pretty interesting how much of a drop there is between 30 and 40 yards....thanks longshanks

I thought that was an interesting way to determine pattern depreciation from 30yd to 40yd which is where lead seems to fall off.  Gonna test some 3/2/6's which allot of folks say will bring better numbers at both distances and see what happens.  Has to get better than what i have: 70's at 40 in a 10" circle.   Keep you posted.

Gobble!

Quote from: Longshanks on May 19, 2011, 06:10:57 PM

I thought that was an interesting way to determine pattern depreciation from 30yd to 40yd which is where lead seems to fall off.  Gonna test some 3/2/6's which allot of folks say will bring better numbers at both distances and see what happens.  Has to get better than what i have: 70's at 40 in a 10" circle.   Keep you posted.

I see what your trying to show but it would be even better to find 3/2/6s hevi and lead shells and show the difference than

Longshanks

Quote from: Gobble! on May 19, 2011, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 19, 2011, 06:10:57 PM

I thought that was an interesting way to determine pattern depreciation from 30yd to 40yd which is where lead seems to fall off.  Gonna test some 3/2/6's which allot of folks say will bring better numbers at both distances and see what happens.  Has to get better than what i have: 70's at 40 in a 10" circle.   Keep you posted.

I see what your trying to show but it would be even better to find 3/2/6s hevi and lead shells and show the difference than

I was really just trying to show why HTL is such a better choice than lead because of the Huge drop off between 30-40 that lead takes.  Hevi 7's was my choice to post because if you notice the difference in the numbers at 30yds in a 12in circle.. They arent that much different. (30 pellets) Hevi 7's are also much more impressive numbers out of my Rem 870.

I was pretty shocked when i started factoring the percentage of pattern  lost from 30-40yds.  Its got me patterning my lead slinger trying to find a shell that will retain enough of the pattern for me to feel comfortable at 35.  Im hoping to get  100+ in a 10in circle @ 40 but it isnt looking good so far.