Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wondering what the hevi 7's craze is about?? Interesting stats..

Started by Longshanks, May 16, 2011, 10:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Rem 870  Kicks .655 

Winchester 1 7/8  6's ( Grey Box)
   *306  hits in a 12in circle @ 30yds
   *94   hits in a  12in circle  @ 40yds

Hevi 7's  3/2/7's
    *337 hits in a 12 in circle @30yds
    *233 hits in a 12 in circle @40yds

Big difference in how the pattern covers the 30 to 40yd range.. :o

drenalinld

That is very interesting! I bet it would be terribly ugly at 50 yards.

R AJ

You are comparing #6 lead to #7 hevi for one and with the given of a tighter pattern of HTL in genetal that should happen.

I did see that when you tried #6 lead to #7 hevi it went from 77 pellets ro 101 or so at the same distance. Plus those HTL pellets are packing more wallop than lead of equal size.

At 30 yards you only had 21 more pellets in HTL #7than lead #6 and a 2 0z load over a 1 7/8 oz. shell. So at 30 you had dead turkey either way and if the 6s had more velocity they could have had more energy than the hTL at that distance.

Longshanks

Thank you,,i am aware of what i tested. :)

I am comparing the difference between lead and HTL.

The point is... the difference from 30 to 40yds...

jfair

The 30 yard #'s are good, surprised it drops off that quick.  Did you count the most dense 12" pattern, or just around the "bullseye".  Curious if it is POI POA issue.  I've never shot that load, so don't know much about it.  Thanks for the info.

drenalinld

I don't see a claim of apples to apples. A lot of folks that might considering a switch from lead 6's to hevi-7's might find this very useful. Regardless of pellet size, a pellet decrease over a ten yard increment is important.

94/306 = 31% of 12" 30 yd pattern maintained at 40

233/337 = 69%  of 12" 30 yd pattern maintained at 40

I see value in those #'s. If those are two loads you are considering, then you should compare them, IMHO.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteThe 30 yard #'s are good, surprised it drops off that quick.

The really quick and ugly drop in numbers and even coverage with Lead pellets, happens between 35 Yards and 40 Yards.  35 can look great.

Ozark Ridge Runner

Quote from: drenalinld on May 16, 2011, 12:03:33 PM
I don't see a claim of apples to apples. A lot of folks that might considering a switch from lead 6's to hevi-7's might find this very useful. Regardless of pellet size, a pellet decrease over a ten yard increment is important.

94/306 = 31% of 12" 30 yd pattern maintained at 40

233/337 = 69%  of 12" 30 yd pattern maintained at 40

I see value in those #'s. If those are two loads you are considering, then you should compare them, IMHO.
Exactly.

jfair

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on May 16, 2011, 12:07:57 PM
QuoteThe 30 yard #'s are good, surprised it drops off that quick.

The really quick and ugly drop in numbers and even coverage with Lead pellets, happens between 35 Yards and 40 Yards.  35 can look great.

I would imagine that distance would depend on alot of variables.  Gun, choke, velocity, payload.  My lead never dropped off that sharp.

Longshanks

The interesting factor to me was the rapid drop off with the lead pattern.  The numbers are not as important as the rate of drop off.  I would think sustaining a consistent pattern from 30 to 40 would be important to any turkey hunter.  I hear allot of talk about lead guns shooting 40yds on this website so it seems pertinent. Allot of patterning i see for lead on the site is at 20, 30, and some 35 yds.  30yd numbers can fool you with lead.   If i were shooting Hevi 6's compared to Lead 6's though the numbers are lower for Hevi 6's than 7's the disparaging rate of drop off for lead is still there in the gun that i tested which is turning awesome numbers at 30yds with lead.

jfair

Not questioning what you got at all.  Just trying to make sure I understand the comparison.  Gonna have to break out the old lead shells and check myself.  I know I was getting a consistent 110-120 in 10" at 40, but not sure on my 30 yard patterns.  I just don't remember it being that big of a drop.

Longshanks

Quote from: jfair on May 16, 2011, 12:58:41 PM
Not questioning what you got at all.  Just trying to make sure I understand the comparison.  Gonna have to break out the old lead shells and check myself.  I know I was getting a consistent 110-120 in 10" at 40, but not sure on my 30 yard patterns.  I just don't remember it being that big of a drop.

Sounds like you might be sustaining a better pattern from 30 to 40 than the combo i was testing with your numbers being that high at 40. Either that... or your pattern is better at 30yds as well. Be interested to see what percentage of your pattern you are retaining from 30 to 40.

My numbers in a 10in circle were 243 @ 30yds and 70's @ 40yds with Win 1 7/8 6's.

deadbuck

Longshanks,

It would make it easier for us compare to all the other data we digest if you use a 10 inch circle instead. Not complaining.

Longshanks

Quote from: deadbuck on May 17, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
Longshanks,

It would make it easier for us compare to all the other data we digest if you use a 10 inch circle instead. Not complaining.

No problem, i just had some turkey targets from Quaker Boy on that round of testing that had a 12 in circle on them.  Kinda prefer those on testing lead but normally use the 10in with testing HTL.  If you are checking pattern retention it shouldn't effect your deterioration percentage greatly. Sorry for the confusion.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Longshanks on May 17, 2011, 01:52:43 PM
Quote from: deadbuck on May 17, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
Longshanks,

No problem, i just had some turkey targets from Quaker Boy on that round of testing that had a 12 in circle on them.  Kinda prefer those on testing lead but normally use the 10in with testing HTL.  If you are checking pattern retention it shouldn't effect your deterioration percentage greatly. Sorry for the confusion.

Wait...are you using a pre-drawn 12-inch circle?