OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hooks calls??

Started by Chris Downs, May 15, 2011, 11:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Downs

Looking to try something new for next year.  I've been hearing alot of good stuff from Hooks, but wondered how their friction calls compared to the Woodhaven line.  I've got no experience with Hooks friction, but have used Woodhaven alot.  I currently have a legend slate and a cherry crystal.  How do the Hooks friction calls compare...please no bashing.  Just looking for honest opinions. 

Also, any input on the Hooks mouth calls would be great.  I've been running pretty much all Woodhaven for sometime now.  Same deal as before, please no bashing of either line...just honest opinions.

Thanks guys.

TRKYHTR

Hooks makes some of the best mouth calls on the market. I've also heard a few of their pot calls and they sound great as well. You wont go wrong with any of the Hooks calls.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Chris Downs

Thanks for the info.  Anybody know where I can find some soundfiles or video clips of their calls??

merocustomcalls

drenalinld

Both brands have enough different choices that anyone should be able to find one they like. IMO the general differences are the tape material and latex reeds. The tape on the Woodhaven calls is thicker and stiffer and can require a little "break in" period. The reeds are typically a little thicker with a little more tension which also may require a little "break in". The Woodhavens would have a better chance of surviving to another season if that's important to you. The Hooks are usually easier to blow and require little or no "break in". Both are high quality calls, but have a totally different feel in your mouth.

ncturkey

Both make great mouth calls. The tape on the Hooks calls is smaller than the Woodhaven calls. I Use the Hook's mouth callers the most. There smaller tape work better in my small mouth. So I just cut down the tape the Woodhavens. One thing I like about the Hook's mouth call are they are about half the cost of most mouth calls. I have a friend who has a Hook's slate caller. It sound's really good. I have not played any of the Woodhaven pot callers.

duckaholic25

Hooks makes some good mouth calls. They take a little while to get used to them but when you do they sound great. I have never heard any of Hooks pots but I can tell you if you want a great sounding pot you need to call Wendell Rye at Lights Out. You will not find a better sounding pot. :z-guntootsmiley:

TauntoHawk

i got some hooks mouth calls to try this season... half way through the season not a single other call has made it into my mouth in a hunting situation and I had about 40 other mouth calls.

nothing ive tried comes close to my hooks mouth calls
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chris Downs

Thanks guys for the info and PMs.  Please keep you experiences and suggestions coming.

drenalinld

Chris, i missed the part about friction calls. I have one Hooks slate and it is pure turkey. It is not as good IMHO as the Woodhavens, but is a fraction of the price.

Chris Downs

Do you have the molded slate or the assassin with the wooden pot?

drenalinld

TauntoHawk

I plan on buy more hooks mouth calls next year and a bunch as gifts for hunting buddies and I know they'll be "hooked"

For friction calls I've heard good things about their bronzed glass, and I'm sure their slate and aluminum got plenty of turkey in them. But I plan on adding lights out aluminum and David halloran slate next year. Cane creek makes a very affordable line of friction calls along with hooks.

I can't imagine hooks making anything bad, don't think I've heard anything bad about their calls from their mouth calls to their owl hooter
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DeWayne Knight

I' mglad I found this thread.  I just ordered the "Champion's Pack" from Hook's.  Most diaphragms I need to trim the tape, so I'm looking forward to trying the Hook's diaphragms.  Glad to hear so much good about them!