Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Rainy day in fields or nice day in the timber

Started by leaf shaker, May 04, 2020, 09:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

First all this field - timber hunting and sitting all depends were your hearing and seeing birds, so that's why you scout and listen ... that will determine your setup and waiting on gobblers.. I will take field say mid-morning over timber most any day.. but it all depends on the gobblers

bonasa

As far as productivity I'll take rainy fields, enjoyment obviously the woods. I like calling turkeys in, and having them come home with us, I'll deal with a little wetness. 

rakkin6

I do a little of both, I typically hunt the woods starting out in the morning then slip into a field and setup on the edge of it about 0900 once the hens start going back to the nest. Where I hunt there are a lot of ag fields surrounded buy hardwoods and it seems that the birds like to hit those fresh tilled ag fields to feed, strut and look for hens. I have had success this way, honestly I have probably killed 75% of my birds after 0900.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy on May 08, 2020, 07:42:48 AM
Quote from: rifleman on May 07, 2020, 08:00:27 PM
Never heard that term HAPPY.  Welfare hunting?  Probably a new age term?
It's a happyism, means sitting on your rear and waiting for it to be given to you instead of going and getting it. I dont care how other people do things. I am pretty good at ignoring the things I dont like. I just can't Turkey hunt that way.

Couldn't have said it better or more succinctly. ....It is a "gobblenut-ism", as well.  :)

paboxcall

Rain or shine, I'm hunting the wooded ridges.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

guesswho

Combo.   I like to Bobcat around and field hop, and I'm not talking a half acre green spot.   I like pastures and big woods.   Lightning will cause me to seek refuge, but rain doesn't bother or deter me.   I won't shoot gift turkeys or bonus turkeys.   And I don't care how the next man does it.   I hunt the way I was brought up.  Bobcat'n, calling and trying to find the killing spot.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 26, 2020, 08:52:08 AM
Quote from: Happy on May 08, 2020, 07:42:48 AM
Quote from: rifleman on May 07, 2020, 08:00:27 PM
Never heard that term HAPPY.  Welfare hunting?  Probably a new age term?
It's a happyism, means sitting on your rear and waiting for it to be given to you instead of going and getting it. I dont care how other people do things. I am pretty good at ignoring the things I dont like. I just can't Turkey hunt that way.

Couldn't have said it better or more succinctly. ....It is a "gobblenut-ism", as well.  :)
Well looks like ol KC figured out his keyboard again.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Probably just got his computer privileges back at the old folks home.   He calls it Gobblenut-ism, everybody else that knows him just calls it BS-ism.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

avidnwoutdoorsman

I like to hunt in the woods over a field any day... rain or shine. But I also like to hunt where the birds are.... Where I hunt there are often not fields...problem solved!
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

Gobbler428

I hunt where the birds are. I had rather hunt a hardwood ridge or a creek bottom if possible and tend to spend more time on high ridges where my call can be heard in more directions and farther, especially when the gobblers are with hens and have gone silent.  I hunt rain or shine and tend to focus more on fields, old logging roads and loading docks when it's raining, any open area. When the thunder and lightening starts, I go to the truck. Don't mind getting wet but really not interested in getting struck by lightening. I enjoy walking and calling, especially if I'm hunting a large track and can cover a lot of territory. I tend to sit more when hunting smaller tracks.

TauntoHawk

Hardwoods ridge would be my favorite place to square off with a gobbler.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bamaslayer757

In the woods for me...I don't use decoys and love the feeling of a south Bama hardwood bird coming in searching for you

SwampRooster17

I'd rather hunt them in the woods but if there in the fields on a rainy day that's where I will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

I've killed all my birds in fields.  That being said I'd love to kill one in the woods.  I've noticed turkey around here stay in the fields more during the day when it's raining.  It's hard to for me to sit in the the rain though.  I sat in a torrential downpour on a field edge last year and got soaked.  An hour later I killed a gobbler. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tail Feathers

My answer is YES!  Whatever the day brings.  LOL

But who doesn't like a clear weather day for turkey hunting?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!