OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who killed birds with #9 shot TSS?

Started by Passport, May 02, 2020, 06:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passport

Just wondering how this worked on the table? Love the performance on paper but have concerns about missing shot and busting a tooth. Like to hear from those of you that have killed and eaten those #9 shot birds

USMC0331

I've had no issues with 9s or th 10s on killing turkeys. I have not bit into a pose of TSS either. All of my shots are inside of 40 yards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

You'll get some posters who will tell you you won't find any shot at all in the meat as it completely passes  through. Others will say they only shoot them in the head/neck.

They either 1- haven't shot many, 2- are less than truthful, or 3- are exceptionally lucky (see #1).  Number 9 TSS even at close range is subject to having "flyers" and lodging in the breast.

And when you bite into, it's dayum hard. Not only heavier than lead, but harder than lead (and tooth enamel). It hurts. I know...

BandedSpur

Been killing and eating TSS 9 killed turkeys since 2009. I typically find 0-4 pellets in the breast. It pays to chew carefully. Those pellets will break a tooth. Don't ask me how I know.

Upfold99

I shoot 9s and 9.5s. You get a few in the breast from time to time. No difference than shooting a larger lead size. I occasionally got a few 5s in the breast meat. Dont see an issue with flyers.

davisd9

I have shot quite a few with 9s. You do get a few flyers and have to check the meat, but a small hand detector pays for itself.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

deadbuck

I bit into one piece of TSS and it is hard. That is when I started cubing my meat and beating it flat with a meat hammer before putting in the flour. If there is a shot in the meat it will pop out when you beat it flat. However, I have started grinding turkey meat with bacon ends and pieces into patties and I may get an occasional shot doing that.

BrowningGuy88

I've killed 6-8 with 9's and a few more with 8.5's and I've killed them from just a couple yards to 40 yards and I've only had pellets in the top of the breast once. It cost me about 2 pieces of turkey nuggets but I just cut the shot up part off.

The longest birds and the closest birds had no shot except in the head and neck. The one that did was about 15 yards with 8.5's and I shot him through a sparkle berry bush and I think it deflected the wad/shot column and opened it up.

OH89hunter

I killed my bird last week with federal tss #9's at 40 yards ! No complaints here

bonasa

Shot a lot with TSS 9's, no problems.  Have pulled a few flyers out of the meat but they are usually in the top 1/3 of the cutlet. Never bit into one though.

Living Water

killed 3 birds with TSS 9's.  stuff is no joke
"You have to pay for every bird you kill and the coin you use to pay for them is time." Tom Kelly

ShortMagFan

Found a pellet in my mouth for the first time last week. Fortunately did not chomp down. That thing was little. That's it for me after 2-3 birds worth the last couple years. We usually marinade the breasts, then grill and slice to fajitas/quesadillas. I don't remember finding any when I sliced it either. I do recall pulling some out and seeing where some had passed thru when dressing the birds

dzsmith

been shooting 9s 2 years exclusively. 8 birds killed from 9s so far and ive yet to bite into one. I haven't bitten into a pellet since I was a kid reguardless of shot size. but I clean my birds well and make good shots, with a tight patterning gun so I guess I wouldn't expect to be cleaning pellets out of my birds to begin with, but I do dig the occasional flyer out of my bird.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

wchadw

I shot one at about 30 yards and yes I found a pellet in the breast when I cooked it. Didn't bust a tooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

Quote from: wchadw on May 04, 2020, 09:09:40 PM
I shot one at about 30 yards and yes I found a pellet in the breast when I cooked it. Didn't bust a tooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See there, it happens even when you "shoot them in the pecker."