turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone hunt Michigan???

Started by WylieCoyote, April 30, 2020, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WylieCoyote

Pondering the thought of taking off to Michigan for a public land hunt. I was hoping to get a couple suggestions on a hunt unit before I make a random selection.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

neal

I've hunted it quite a few times but up in the U.P.  Lots of birds

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

WylieCoyote

Quote from: neal on April 30, 2020, 09:45:34 PM
I've hunted it quite a few times but up in the U.P.  Lots of birds

Neal

I guess I'll just close my eyes and click the mouse lol

WylieCoyote

My buddy worked in the hunting industry for a good while and he said that was his favorite place to turkey hunt. We talk about going every year but never do it. I made my mind up, I'm going.

Dtrkyman

It is quite good, not sure it matters what area, my concern this year would be all the crap going on in Michigan.

There is lots of public land up there too!

joey46

Always wondered about the U.P. turkey hunting. Went there many years ago for a fishing trip in early June.  Think we had snow flurries one cold snap.  Pretty country.

WylieCoyote

Waiting on a buddy to call me back that lives in Allegan MI.
May get to run on some private land.

Dtrkyman

Joey46, my cousin has hunted up there, piles of birds!

joey46

Thanks.  Know one "yooper" although they since moved to near Traverse City.  They didn't hunt but I think a son did.  Make some discreet inquires.  The virus has things too fouled up for this season but be nice to have a May spot alternative for next year.

BBR12

I looked at it, but the restrictions they got in place right now I'm not chancing it.

WylieCoyote

Quote from: joey46 on May 02, 2020, 08:38:41 AM
Thanks.  Know one "yooper" although they since moved to near Traverse City.  They didn't hunt but I think a son did.  Make some discreet inquires.  The virus has things too fouled up for this season but be nice to have a May spot alternative for next year.
I talked to my buddy this morning, he said they sold 50,000 private land tags this year,  plus swapping specific hunt unit tags to basically "anywhere" tags so people didn't "have" to travel. Said to wait until next year.

AndyH

I'll be heading up in two weeks I have a friend that lives near the thumb and has access to a lot of private ground. All my other plans for this spring got canceled so figure I might as well take advantage of this one.

WylieCoyote

You know what you need? A friend like me!... I wouldn't make you take a trip like that alone.

Dtrkyman

I have access this year to a small piece of private in the thumb area, supposed to have lots of birds and there are also a couple public pieces in the area.

Good thing is the private has a place to stay!

AndyH

Quote from: WylieCoyote on May 03, 2020, 02:09:05 PM
You know what you need? A friend like me!... I wouldn't make you take a trip like that alone.
Would love to, however I have no idea how this will pan out. My friend has never turkey( he is a trapper) hunted but is always sending me pics and videos of turkeys he is seeing. Told me if I ever want to come up he could get me on a lot of private ground. So I figure I'll take the 4.5 hr drive after my Ohio season ends and give it a shot.