OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's a good lead shot shell?

Started by Bigbirdkiller75, May 15, 2011, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

I can't remeber the thread I saw it on but a guy was waxing nostalgic about not being able to find the older style Federal Premiums, without the FC wad...in my opinion, the BEST lead turkey loads ever produced.  Well...I found some...for $6.99 a box plus shipping!!  They're the 3/2/4's at 1175fps.  I wish they were the 5's but hey those loads in any size shot kicked the tar out of just about any other production pb load out there.  I still have a bunch of the 3/1 .75/5s and they are the best patterning pb load I have ever shot! Always got over 150 in the 10 ring at 40 with them.  Alas I am now one of the HTL sheep but I'll always keep those pb loads....for a rainy day perhaps?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

you are right about being the "Best" lead shell out there
these shells took alot of birds before they got so hard to find and I switched over to Winchester
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

chatterbox

I like the 3-2-6 winchester XX supreme magnums(red shell).
They pattern very evenly. Good shell.

WyoHunter

Quote from: gobb-lemon on May 24, 2011, 11:03:25 PM
Quote from: Gobblez on May 17, 2011, 04:35:16 PM
Win Supreme 6's and shoot 'em in the head!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

I 2nd that......
Win. Supreme H.V. #6 (Black shell) and add Indian Creek .655  and your good to go... this is what i shoot if it is lead,

Chris
:agreed: I shot these for years before switching to Hevi-13. If I was to shoot lead again this is what I'd be using. I still have three boxes in case I do.  :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Longshanks

Win XX 3/2/6's  out of Kicks .655 and Rem 870

chatterbox

Just found 2 boxes of federal pre flite control 3.5-2-6's at a local gunshop.
I got 165 in a 10" circle at 30, and 100 in a 10" circle at 40.
The patterns were very even, and I'm super pleased! That is one awsome shell. It goes to show that federal should never have messed with that wad. Sad.

Kylongspur88

Winn HV. Most guys I know shoot the 4's or 5's and they are nasty. I prefer the 3.5 4's in lead and inside 40 they will blow a bird off it's feet.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

In regard to the opening post, I have a Mossberg 500 with a Ported barrel, and it will see every kind of shot I own.  I've never read or heard anything about it being a Lead Only barrel.  It had better be ready, is all I can say.

Most everyone has had good experiences with Winchester Supreme HV shells.

I've had my best luck so far with an Indian Creek .665 choke in my 870.  However, I'm going to trade my RemChoke Kick's GT .665 for a .655, and when I do, I'll try it with the Winchester Supremes as well.

The 870 and the 500 both have the same Bore Diameter.  The Choke sizes should run close for both, IMO.

gob09

i had a moss. 500 till someone thought they needed it more than i did and shot everything but steel shot

WildTigerTrout

Win. Supreme HV's. are great . I also miss the old pre FC wad Federals.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

DKA

I use Federal # 5's and have for years. Great results.

MossRem

Back when I mostly hunted with a Mossberg 500, I always liked Winchester XX 3" 2 oz. #5 and 2 and 3/4" 1 and 5/8 #5. Never was all that impressed with the patterns I got with 6 shot. I also liked Federal 2 and 3/4" #5s....those things hit turkeys like a rifle!
Later on (the year they first came out) I switched to the Winchester HV #5 3 inch shell and used that until I started hunting with other shotguns. You really owe it to yourself to try Winchester Supremes, they really pattern well in a Mossberg 500.

FttFttVroom!

Gotta give my old lead load standby another vote.

Winchester Supreme HV #5 and #6 in 3 and 3.5" killed tons of turkeys for me.

I have a lot of catching up to do with my HTL loads and am spending a LOT more doing it!

Why????? they don't seem any deader than they did before...... ???

I may be going back after I shoot my last box of Winchester XRHD's

Gooserbat

My lead load of choice is win HV #6 in both 3 & 3.5 my 3.5 gun cleanly kills at 50 yards
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

houser52

Winchester HV was highly recommended by a lot of the guys on here so that's what I'm trying first.