OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's a good lead shot shell?

Started by Bigbirdkiller75, May 15, 2011, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdkiller75

I'm just wondering what a good shell is that will maybe help me get a littler more distance at a bird. I have a mossberg 500 and it only shoots lead shot so any suggestions?
Bigbirdkiller75

Nimrodmar10

Let me answer your question with a question. What makes you think the Mossberg 500 only shoots lead?

If you do need to shoot lead for some reason, the Federal Heavyweights always did me an excellent job. Get the 3" 2 oz. load of #6 shot and you'll be pleased.

R AJ

You may certainly only shoot lead but your gun can definitely shoot HTL loads.

Fastcat

If you are set on lead winchester HVs are a good place to start.

Bigbirdkiller75

The gun has a vented barrel and I was told to only shoot lead shot out of it. I'm not sure if it's true I just thought that because of what I was told. Thank you guys for the help though I'm working on improving my pattern. Any suggestions for choke tubes?
Bigbirdkiller75

dawei

Quote from: Bigbirdkiller75 on May 15, 2011, 11:42:44 AMI'm just wondering what a good shell is that will maybe help me get a littler more distance at a bird. I have a mossberg 500 and it only shoots lead shot so any suggestions?
First of all are you referring to 12ga or 20ga ammunition? Is the reason you only shoot lead because your gun has a C-Lect (Poly) type choke?

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

mikejd

I have always had great luck with the winchester hv's #4's. Matter of fact i just tipped over a 21lbder at 52yds last week. deader than dead.

Spring Creek Calls

Win Supreme 6's and shoot 'em in the head!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

dawei

Quote from: mikejd on May 17, 2011, 04:22:49 PM
I have always had great luck with the winchester hv's #4's. Matter of fact I just tipped over a 21lbder at 52yds last week. deader than dead.
That's a hell of a shot! I used the same Winchester® Supreme® High Velocity #4 ammo albeit on a closer (42yds) bird! IMHO Winchester® makes THE BEST Pb turkey ammunition!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Bigbirdkiller75

It says on the gun something about only shooting lead shells or something like that I just kinda assumed it might be something with the barrel being vented. But the choke makes more sense. It is a 12 ga by the way
Bigbirdkiller75

hunter177

I get my best patterns with Federal MagShok FC 3", 1150 fps, 2 oz, #6s. I use a Primos JellyHead .665 choke but I also like the TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 chokes.
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Bigbirdkiller75 on May 17, 2011, 09:54:04 PM
It says on the gun something about only shooting lead shells or something like that I just kinda assumed it might be something with the barrel being vented. But the choke makes more sense. It is a 12 ga by the way

are you talking about the barrel being ported??
how old is the gun??
what kind of choke do you have on it??
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gobb-lemon

Quote from: Gobblez on May 17, 2011, 04:35:16 PM
Win Supreme 6's and shoot 'em in the head!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

I 2nd that......
Win. Supreme H.V. #6 (Black shell) and add Indian Creek .655  and your good to go... this is what i shoot if it is lead,

Chris

Ruger M77

Federals or winchester HV both shot good for me
I eat therefore I hunt

mightyjoeyoung

Too bad you aren't closer.  I'm in Erie County and would've been happy to help you out.  Could you maybe post a pic of the gun (the entire gun) so we could see what you're working with?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.