OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cold Calling: Best Practices

Started by AppalachianHollers, April 28, 2020, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divenut2

Quote from: paboxcall on April 29, 2020, 04:45:06 PM
And if you are set up and calling from a fixed location, periodically calling, good chance a bird will come in quiet on you - no need to gobble since you are broadcasting your location and your intentions to hook up. All you might get is the periscope head checking out your set up.

Yep! I don't get too hung up on hearing gobbling in response to my calls during late morning-afternoon hunting. Most of the birds I bagged (or spooked LOL) in the woods I hunt came in silently. Just gotta keep still and scan for movement....of course, my movement is occasionally what cause the sneaking Tom's to move...out of shooting range LOL.

Be well folks
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Turkeytider on April 29, 2020, 05:47:14 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on April 28, 2020, 10:01:37 PM
You'd be amazed at how far away a turkey can hear light calling. 1st Tom I ever shot heard me scratching on a pot call as lightly as I could from 150/200yds away. Gobbled a couple times to it and came running in. Before I could do anything he was standing 5yds away. Spotted me a turned to run off. Luckily when pulled up on him I caught him with 1 bb in the side of the noggin.

I prefer to set up so when crests the ridge he is in range. Maybe 25/30yds from the crest. It's fun to watch them come in but easier to get picked off. Plus when they start getting close they expect to see a hen from where the calling is coming from.

I`m beginning to wonder if it`s possible to make a sound, no matter how soft, that a turkey can`t hear 100 yards away.
Natural sounds don't bother them. Sticks snapping, leaves rustling, and other sounds they hear all the time. It may draw their attention for a while but it won't spook them. I've had plenty of birds gobble at me rustling leaves while walking through the woods.
Unnatural sounds are the ones you don't want to make like clanging your gun on something or maybe pulling up a zipper.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

sasquatch1

If you setup near a ridge top and the bird is on the other side, you can do yourself a big favor and setup standing up, you'll be able to see him way earlier this way and most likely before he fully tops the ridge to get his pov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 29, 2020, 08:55:11 PM
You'd be amazed at how far away a turkey can hear light calling. 1st Tom I ever shot heard me scratching on a pot call as lightly as I could from 150/200yds away. Gobbled a couple times to it and came running in. Before I could do anything he was standing 5yds away. Spotted me a turned to run off. Luckily when pulled up on him I caught him with 1 bb in the side of the noggin.

I prefer to set up so when crests the ridge he is in range. Maybe 25/30yds from the crest. It's fun to watch them come in but easier to get picked off. Plus when they start getting close they expect to see a hen from where the calling is coming from.

I`m beginning to wonder if it`s possible to make a sound, no matter how soft, that a turkey can`t hear 100 yards away.
Natural sounds don't bother them. Sticks snapping, leaves rustling, and other other sounds they hear all the time. It may draw their attention for a while but it won't spook them. I've had plenty of birds gobble at me rustling leaves while walking through the woods.
Unnatural sounds are the ones you don't want to make like clanging your gun on something or maybe pulling up a zipper.

Yeah boy! Those zippers can be heard for hundreds of yards!????

Paulmyr

:lol:
Quote from: Turkeytider on April 29, 2020, 09:32:19 PM

Natural sounds don't bother them. Sticks snapping, leaves rustling, and other other sounds they hear all the time. It may draw their attention for a while but it won't spook them. I've had plenty of birds gobble at me rustling leaves while walking through the woods.

It's an example of an unnatural sound and yes if you pull up a zipper I guarantee a turkey can hear from 100 yds. I'll keep easing mine up as quietly as possible. You do what you want.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 29, 2020, 10:12:22 PM

It's an example of an unnatural sound and yes if you pull up a zipper I guarantee a turkey can hear from 100 yds. I'll keep easing mine up as quietly as possible. You do what you want.

Sorry, I actually agree! Their hearing is uncanny. I just thought it was a funny example. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

bigriverbum

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 29, 2020, 09:25:17 PM
If you setup near a ridge top and the bird is on the other side, you can do yourself a big favor and setup standing up, you'll be able to see him way earlier this way and most likely before he fully tops the ridge to get his pov

An incredibly exciting way to take a bird. I've taken a few while facing up a steep hill and just stood behind a tree. Keep your gun straight up and drip it to whatever side he shows himself on. Had one 5 yard shot doing this on a bird that ran about a half mile straight at me

GobbleNut

Can't be of much help,...I rarely cold call turkeys.  My only input here is that, if you are going to cold call, choose your spot carefully.  That seems pretty obvious, but I have seen people set-up cold calling in places that there was probably not a turkey in the same county. 

Before cold calling, be sure to evaluate your habitat, terrain, and evidence of turkey activity,...and from those, assess where and when you should be cold calling in a location.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 30, 2020, 09:31:46 AM
Can't be of much help,...I rarely cold call turkeys.  My only input here is that, if you are going to cold call, choose your spot carefully.  That seems pretty obvious, but I have seen people set-up cold calling in places that there was probably not a turkey in the same county. 

Before cold calling, be sure to evaluate your habitat, terrain, and evidence of turkey activity,...and from those, assess where and when you should be cold calling in a location.
I'm basically looking to set up in 2 places:

1) behind the top a ridge with a gentle slope down into nesting cover. I know hens are in the nesting cover—there are tracks (not many, but enough to confirm), and earlier this season my uncle accidentally flushed a hen like a pheasant in that general area. Seems like a good place to cold call about 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning.

2) along a western-facing ridge that has lots of shade in the heat of the day, overlooking a logging road and creek bottom. I was thinking late morning to afternoon here.

tlh2865

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 30, 2020, 09:31:46 AM

Game cameras can be a big help to you here if you are in a position that it is possible to use them

Paulmyr

Np. I wasn't sure. It was the emogee with the sad face and the question marks that threw me off.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 30, 2020, 08:28:50 PM

Np. I wasn't sure. It was the emogee with the sad face and the question marks that threw me off.

Yeah, I somehow screwed that up. I don`t know how that happened!

Marc

I just leave mine down at all times...  Might even get a shock gobble that way....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Marc

To me, cold calling is setting up to hunt and call to unknown birds that you cannot see or hear, but suspect are in the area?

I generally am hunting some steep terrain, with small flats or saddles...  I will pick a saddle that has a convergence of two or more draws, and that is easily approachable for a bird.  Turkey sign or previous knowledge of birds using this area is welcome.

I try and pick a spot that is going to be comfortable to sit still for a period, and that hides subtle movements (such as the occasional nose-pick).

Once everything is laid out, organized, and I am comfortable, I make a few quiet content clucks and yelps...  If no answer, I then walk a small circle while doing some "pleading" yelps and clucks for a minute or so...  I then sit down and get comfortable for a bit.  So many times, just as I am about to give up the ghost, I hear that gobble....  Translating that gobble into a ride home for the bird is another matter...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: Marc on May 04, 2020, 02:49:40 AM

Once everything is laid out, organized, and I am comfortable, I make a few quiet content clucks and yelps...  If no answer, I then walk a small circle while doing some "pleading" yelps and clucks for a minute or so...  I then sit down and get comfortable for a bit.  So many times, just as I am about to give up the ghost, I hear that gobble....  Translating that gobble into a ride home for the bird is another matter...

Thanks for the input. What do you mean by "pleading" yelps and clucks?