Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How do I start on a property I'm new to hunting in

Started by Bigbirdkiller75, May 14, 2011, 11:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdkiller75

I am going to a piece of ground that I was recently told to try out but I've never been there and don't really have a chance to go check it out first so what should I do to find the birds?
Bigbirdkiller75

TRKYHTR

Get there 1/2 hour before daylight, on a high ridge where you can hear real good and listen for the turkeys to gobble. After it gets daylight start scouting the areas focusing on dirt roads and looking for tracks and turkey sign. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Bigbirdkiller75

Thank you for the help I can't wait to getvout there to see what's actually on the property.
Bigbirdkiller75

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

furtracker

:agreed: sometimes you gotta wear out some boot leather to find them

turkeybill34

mightyjoeyoung

Sure you can just wander around blind...burning up some boot leather, but this IS the 21st century isn't it?  Get on the computer and print out some usgs sat photos or if you're like me and have a smart phone with a google earth or maps app, getting maps with satelite overlays AND your exact, realtime location is a finger tap away. I use my droid all the time when I'm on a new property.  It can give you real time reference for where you are and where you just heard that gobbler sound off.  I used it just this past Saturday to help me get around a friend's property. It won't make up for good woodsmanship for sure but it can be a very usefull tool in your turkey vest!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Kywoodsman

Google terra server. It's also a good site to use to look up topographic maps to get an overview of the property itself.

TauntoHawk

before you ever go look at arial and topo maps... look for ag fields near by, ridge tops, hollow, secluded pastures, points, and flats

if its a large property start early on a high listening spot and move when the birds sound off

if its smaller and not a lot of room to move, find a open feeding or strut zone, (field, pasture, clearcut, open flat or ridge top) and set up. if you dont hear or see much after a few hours take a walk around the property calling every 75yds. look for tracks, droppings, roost trees, dusting bowls, food (acorns, clover, berries)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble: