turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When and how to use decoys and gobble calls

Started by Bigbirdkiller75, May 13, 2011, 11:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdkiller75

I have a upright hen and upright Jake along with a feeding hen and feeding Jake in my decoy arsenal but I'm not really expierienced in setting them up realistically and effectively. So any suggestions? Also I have a primos shake gobbler call and I got the hang of using it but don't know when to use it on the birds and when is it safe to use it? If you know an effective way of using the decoys and gobble call I have then I would appreciate it to hear it.

Bigbirdkiller75
Bigbirdkiller75

gunnerj

I use decoys in field situations exclusively. Multiple dekes sets have worked better this year with the late spring(family groups). Put that alert hen out at 40 yards working away from where you think the birds are coming from, or leave her in the bag. Put the 2 jakes working the feeding hen. The shaker works great on heavily hunted public ground, but it makes you the hunted by the inexperienced. Private ground is safest for the shaker. Mid day is the time I've taken birds with the shaker.  :anim_25:

Bigbirdkiller75

I just bought an hs strut sneaky Pete Jake decoy and I think it would work well with the feeding hen. It is not in full strut but kinda puffed up so I think it might be just that little thing to lure in a nice longbeard
Bigbirdkiller75