North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot Placement

Started by WyoHunter, February 12, 2011, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you hold your point of aim on an alert gobbler?

Head
Middle of neck
Base of neck
Somewhere else?
Shoot over top - hunt him another day

WyoHunter

Looks like "middle of the neck" is the most preferred POA. Good luck to all this spring season!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

redleg06

Shotgun

magicman

hunts4ever

SHOOT FOR THE EYE AND THEY ALWAYS DIE!

ElkTurkMan

I put the bead, or the red dot on the waddles.

neal

Feathers meet the skin and bang dead!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

PANYHunter

Where feathers meat skin.  Or heart with the rage.   :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

BrowningGuy88

I haven't ever thought about it really.

I just put it on his head where it feels right and pull the trigger. I guess I probably shoot mid to low neck mostly. I have been guilty of shooting one right at the top of the feathers below his head and shooting over a couple!

Daman

deerhunt1988

Around where the skin meets the feathers, a little lower on close shots. You start aiming much higher (on longer shots), and part of your pattern starts going above their head. I want the full utilization of my pattern and room for error.

Jbird22

I USED to aim at the head but will be aiming for base/middle of neck from now on.

savduck

Depends..........If he is close on the waddles. If he is out there....aim at his eyeball.
Georgia Boy

MKMGOBL

I voted middle of the neck but it actually right as the base of the head. I like to be able to see my target (gobblers head) as I'm getting ready to thump him.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Muskie03

I put my red dot right on his head.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.