OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shot Placement

Started by WyoHunter, February 12, 2011, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you hold your point of aim on an alert gobbler?

Head
Middle of neck
Base of neck
Somewhere else?
Shoot over top - hunt him another day

WyoHunter

After watching a couple of TV shows where the shooter shot the turkey in the body I thought it would be interesting to see where your point of aim would be. My personal aim point is the middle of the neck at the caruncles. What's yours?  :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

jakesdad

I usually hold for the middle of the neck or a touch lower,maybe where skin meets feathers.I dont think I could ever intentionally body shoot a turkey.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

chatterbox

Middle of the neck. Only shot to take.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

timbrhuntr

I picked base of neck because I took that to mean where the head ends and feathers start. The first turkey I ever shot at was a jake I called around 15 birds off the roost right past me. Actually I think they just wanted to go that way. At about 10 yds in front of me I picked out the biggest who was also the strutter and fired. I aimed at his head. I watched in horror as he flew away with the other birds with a nice short haircut. Since then I lowered my aim and haven't missed one.

slave601

Where the skin meets the waddles
"thinnin the flock"

slave601

Where the skin meets the feathers
"thinnin the flock"

sugarray

I use a CQB, or circle reticle, so I put the top of the circle on the top of the head.  My pattern then covers the head and neck.  So, I chose middle of the neck.  If you aim at where the feathers meet the neck, then half of your pattern will enter lower than that, I don't like having pellets in the breast.

OLE RASPY

Quote from: guesswho on February 12, 2011, 07:20:59 PM
Waddles with a shotgun.
yep i have a buddy that aims for the eye so much room for error there.

OLE RASPY

knightrider

northms

I also shoot where the feathers meet the neck.

Gobble!

Miburmanelly

middle of the flock...should get 1 of them   ................wrong

I shoot a 10 ga and just point it in the turkeys general direction   ................wrong

No really, I settle in for middle of neck, still being able to keep my eyes on his eyes  !!!             

pullit

Quote from: sugarray on February 12, 2011, 07:28:39 PM
I use a CQB, or circle reticle, so I put the top of the circle on the top of the head.  My pattern then covers the head and neck.  So, I chose middle of the neck.  If you aim at where the feathers meet the neck, then half of your pattern will enter lower than that, I don't like having pellets in the breast.

I run a Burris and I put the dot on the head. My pattern cover the neck and head as well.