turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-13 ?

Started by fallsflight, April 14, 2020, 09:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallsflight

Anyone still using Hevi-13 loads in their 20s?  I have used Hevi-13 #6s in my 12 for years now and was considering using #7s in my 20.  Seems like all the talk is TSS these days. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curtdawg88

After seeing TSS in action, I would only use Hevi-13 again if I was in a pinch. TSS is much better IMO and only slightly more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

tnanh

I still shoot hevi 13 6s and 7s in my 20 gauge. Killed a bird last week with hevi 13 7s in a 20 gauge.

2eagles

I just killed my 1st season bird with Hevi13 #7s. It does a fine job, more pellets than 6's per oz and plenty of energy. Because Hevi isn't as heavy as tss, there is more pellets in an oz so it makes more sense to me. I live in Iowa and can't use shot smaller than 8's or I would try tss 9's. I could increase pellet count a lot using Apex #8 shot, but that's a lot of money when the Hevi works so well.

TrackeySauresRex

I'll go back to lead before I shoot tss. 38 dollars for 5 shells ain't hapnin for me. H-13 #7 shoots well out of my 20 and I like em close anyway.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RED NECK

I'm shooting hevi #6 and mag blends from multiple 20's and will continue for years.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

surehuntsalot

got several boxes of 20ga magblends and #6's, been shooting them for years and plan on using them for years more
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tnanh

Glad I am not the only one and very glad to see some posts on something other than tss.

captpete

Quote from: tnanh on April 18, 2020, 11:11:34 PM
Glad I am not the only one and very glad to see some posts on something other than tss.

Agree. You ask a question about a certain load and almost guaranteed someone will say to switch to TSS. Kind gets old after awhile.

RED NECK

Quote from: captpete on April 19, 2020, 11:27:09 AM

Agree. You ask a question about a certain load and almost guaranteed someone will say to switch to TSS. Kind gets old after awhile.
Not to mention,they do not read any of the posts on a thread and just flap off about you should be shooting #9's    well,I hunt legally and where I live and hunt.I can not shoot #9's  It really does get old and annoying.I just chalk it up with fan reaping,flat brims and I remember my first turkey hunt too. 

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 19, 2020, 11:40:09 AM
Quote from: captpete on April 19, 2020, 11:27:09 AM

Not to mention,they do not read any of the posts on a thread and just flap off about you should be shooting #9's    well,I hunt legally and where I live and hunt.I can not shoot #9's  It really does get old and annoying.I just chalk it up with fan reaping,flat brims and I remember my first turkey hunt too.

Yes, Yes, Yes..
I.... We... like to keep em close. Definitely not more then 35.  We can do more then enough damage with the loads mentioned also without spending almost 10 dollars a shell. When will the madness end? I've found out when something works stick with it. We better stock up on these shells before they discontinue these as well.

RED NECK

All i ever wanted to find was a 20 gauge load that I was confident in at 40 yards.I do shoot tss #7 from 2 of my guns but I will be shooting hevi,mag blends,fed 3rd degree and longbeards from the majority of mine.I hate the price of them as much as anyone but I do like the added "confidence" in a shell,as long as I am happy with the pattern and confident in it.I don't need it to be the "fancy" ammo.

I believe I may just shooting the tss #7 from my tc single shot going forward as I really really like what the hevi #6 does in my bps 20 gauge with a .555 IC choke.

I kill all my birds within 40,I think I have killed three over that distance in 25 years.

RED NECK

I just sent my local dealer an email as I am down to 1 box of the hevi #6 20 gauge shells,I want 5 more boxes,that should do me for the next 10 years for one gun.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 19, 2020, 01:47:34 PM
All i ever wanted to find was a 20 gauge load that I was confident in at 40 yards.I do shoot tss #7 from 2 of my guns but I will be shooting hevi,mag blends,fed 3rd degree and longbeards from the majority of mine.I hate the price of them as much as anyone but I do like the added "confidence" in a shell,as long as I am happy with the pattern and confident in it.I don't need it to be the "fancy" ammo.

I believe I may just shooting the tss #7 from my tc single shot going forward as I really really like what the hevi #6 does in my bps 20 gauge with a .555 IC choke.

I kill all my birds within 40,I think I have killed three over that distance in 25 years.

I don't believe the tss #7 Feds. Out performed the Fed heavy weight. At least in pellet count anyway. That's the one we should've stocked up on.

RED NECK

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 19, 2020, 04:12:28 PM
Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 19, 2020, 01:47:34 PM

I don't believe the tss #7 Feds. Out performed the Fed heavy weight. At least in pellet count anyway. That's the one we should've stocked up on.
I could never locate them up here in Ontario,as #7's were not legal until a few years ago.I looked everywhere and also worked for a huge hunting store as a manager.The ammo is just starting to be available in #7's.I stock up so in case I cant find it I have 11 boxes of 20 gauge mag blend right now because it shoots real solid in a handful of my guns.I always wanted to try the #7 Heavyweights.