turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any one use other than pot calls?

Started by a-j calls, May 13, 2011, 02:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a-j calls

I have noticed on this and other sites, all the turkey kills photo's i have seen have shown mostly pot call or an occasional mouth call or box call laying by the the bird, I was wondering if anyone uses with success wingbone calls or trumpets?

a-j calls

And with lots of success,,,thanks for replying.

guesswho

Here ya go.   I occasionally have a little luck with the Trumpet.   I started using one last year and the turkeys seem to have taken a liking to it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mmusso

Good grief! Looks like I need to try a trumpet...

shad309

Holy crap there Dahmer  :o  Looks like a crime scene! Are you a clown on the weekends  :toothy12:

gobbler336

Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2011, 03:19:13 PM
Here ya go.   I occasionally have a little luck with the Trumpet.   I started using one last year and the turkeys seem to have taken a liking to it.

alright i'll bite, why do you have turkey heads laying around, i'm guessing taxidermy.   

who makes ya'lls trumpet and are there any tips on using them you would give out?, i just got one in the mail a few days ago and am learning, the yelps are alot different that my diaphram or pot calls.

guesswho

Quote from: gobbler336 on May 14, 2011, 03:59:37 PM
alright i'll bite, why do you have turkey heads laying around, i'm guessing taxidermy.   

who makes ya'lls trumpet and are there any tips on using them you would give out?, i just got one in the mail a few days ago and am learning, the yelps are alot different that my diaphram or pot calls.
I save some every year for a taxidermist.

Mike Williams aka MKW made the one in the picture.  All these birds did hear the trumpet.  I'm not qualified to give any tips on the use of Trumpets, except practice. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

fl panhandler

Ronnie,
I always get a kick out of that picture.
Rick

gobbler336

these bird that ya'll killed with the trumpet, was that what you started out using to call them or were you using another call and they just liked the trumpet better. have you found that they often respond better to the yelp of a trumpet vs a more common slate/glass/ or diaphram.

guesswho

The first call they hear from me is usually the trumpet now.  Not that I think its a majical call that turkeys cant resist, it's I feel I can yelp and cluck on it better than anything else so thats what they hear from me.   Purrs, cutts ect. I use a pot call or diaphram.  I just use it as another tool.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

gobbler336

could you get me a contact # for mr. hudson?  do you know what he gets for his trumpets?

archery1

Take a kid hunting

Basser69

Craig Scott AKA mudpuppi made the one that I used to take this bird with this year. He has them in the call section on a regular basis.

cahaba

I have used a wingbone with much success. I foget who made it. I took some off the front of it till it sounded like I want it. It took me two years to gey decent at useing it. I think it makes the most natural cluck of all the calls we use. I never tried a trumpet. Looks like Im going to have to get one.