Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opinion on federal heavyweight pattern

Started by Borden811, April 12, 2020, 04:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Shot this from my 12ga 870, 21" barrel at 42 yards. 3" 1 5/8 Federal heavyweight #7 out of a Carlson's .640 TSS choke. Would you try and improve it, or hunt it the way it is?

https://imgur.com/gallery/gz0koZe

1iagobblergetter

turkey_picker

I would adjust my aim up about 2 inches and hunt with it.

BINK McCARTY

That's about as good of a Heavyweight pattern I've seen in 12 gauge. No Benelli?

Borden811

I still have all 3 benellis, I just got bored during the quarantine and needed something to do. So I started piecing together an 870. It involved hacksaws, steel putty, dremels, and paint by the time it was all said and done, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Still losing my mind up here in PA because the season doesn't start for 3 more weeks ????

Tom007

How about a pic of that new slayer..... :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Tom007 on April 15, 2020, 04:34:04 PM
How about a pic of that new slayer..... :turkey2:

YES!!!! We need pics of your Franken-Remmy!!!

Borden811

Ok,ok! I did a little write up over in the turkey gun section on my 870 project. Hopefully I can get to the range and try one more tube out of it today with the heavyweight 7s. Then I'll be set for our season which opens in two weeks.

huntinsomd

Pattern looks great. Maybe a couple inches low. If that's the case aim a little higher and you are golden!

WorkingBirds

Borden811

Quote from: WorkingBirds on April 20, 2020, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: turkey_picker on April 12, 2020, 10:26:33 PM

:agreed:

I realize that. That was shot during a patterning session, with about 6 different chokes, and 5 different types of shells. My aim was dead center of the target, which happens to be exactly where the poi is for that choke load combo. Obviously now that I know that, and repeated it several times, I know where to aim with that choke load combo. My question was more to the actual pattern itself, and the density and evenness of it, not the actual location of it on the target. That being said, I do appreciate the feedback!

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Borden811 on April 20, 2020, 10:46:27 AM
Quote from: WorkingBirds on April 20, 2020, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: turkey_picker on April 12, 2020, 10:26:33 PM

:agreed:

I realize that. That was shot during a patterning session, with about 6 different chokes, and 5 different types of shells. My aim was dead center of the target, which happens to be exactly where the poi is for that choke load combo. Obviously now that I know that, and repeated it several times, I know where to aim with that choke load combo. My question was more to the actual pattern itself, and the density and evenness of it, not the actual location of it on the target. That being said, I do appreciate the feedback!

We DO think alot alike when it comes to testing!!!